Homemade Flour Tortillas – soft and tender flour tortillas are just a few simple ingredients, and so easy to make at home. Fluffy, soft, and easy!
Do you like to try to make homemade versions of some of your store bought staples? 99.9% of the time they turn out better, cheaper, and without all the other “stuff” that the manufacturers put in there. I personally love the challenge involved. Some things definitely are more time intensive than others, so it isn’t always worth if you are on a tight schedule. Homemade flour tortillas? Totally worth it if you have an extra 20 minutes!
I have had “making homemade flour tortillas” on my bucket list for pretty much ever. When I was in high school there was a local Mexican (I use the word Mexican loosely, here) restaurant we used to go to. The best part was they had fresh homemade flour tortillas. They had a press set up in the middle of the restaurant, so you could watch a lady make them fresh while you ate. In addition to chips and salsa, they also brought you a few fresh tortillas. They were so good dipped in their green salsa.
The most time intensive part of homemade tortillas is rolling them out. If you have a press it makes it go much quicker, but definitely not required to make them. This recipe makes about 16 tortillas, so rolling them out doesn’t take all day. If you have a large griddle then you can cook a few at once, they are done very quickly. You can even reheat the in a dry skillet the next day, and they still taste great! Use to make tacos, burritos, quesadillas, enchiladas, or just dip in salsa. Next up, I can’t wait to try to do corn tortillas!
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup warm water
- In a large bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder, and oil. Slowly add the water, mixing with a wooden spoon. Stir until it forms a sticky ball.
- Turn the ball onto a floured surface, and knead for 2 minutes until a soft smooth dough has formed.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap, and let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Divide dough into 16 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap for 10 minutes.
- Flatten dough, and using a rolling pin or tortilla press to roll flat. They will be about 6 or 7 inches in diameter.
- Heat a skillet or a griddle to medium high heat. Cook tortillas for about 1 minute on the first side, until it starts to bubble. Flip, and cook for about 1 more minute until golden brown.
- Remove and serve. If not using right away, allow to cool completely before storing.
Want recipes that use Homemade Flour Tortillas?