Homemade Flour Tortillas – soft and tender flour tortillas are just a few simple ingredients, and so easy to make at home. Fluffy, soft, and easy!
As you well know if you have been here before, Mexican food is one of my favorites. I would eat tacos, Chicken Enchiladas or even just chips and salsa pretty much every day!
We use both flour tortillas and corn tortillas often, depending on what we are making. And now you can make both homemade! Homemade Corn Tortillas are super easy to make as well!
How to Make Homemade Flour Tortillas
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and oil until it is well combined.
- Slowly mix in the warm water until it comes together in a sticky ball.
- Turn the ball of dough onto a floured surface and knead for about 2 minutes until the dough is soft and smooth.
- Then you need to let the dough rest. Because you are using all-purpose flour that has gluten in it, you need to let it rest, so it will spread out and rise later. Corn tortillas doesn’t have the same protein in the flour, so there is no resting required when making those.
- Next divide the dough into equal portions and start rolling! You will roll until they are about 6 to 7 inches across.
- I like to use a griddle so I can cook a few at a time, but a large skillet works great as well. Just heat to medium high heat before you start cooking.
- Add a tortilla to the pan and cook for about 1 minute per side until it starts to bubble and turn golden brown.
- These are best served warm, but you can cool completely and store for later as well.
You can do so many things with these flour tortillas. There are always my favorite Chicken Tacos, but you can also spread a little butter on them, or dip them in salsa if you want to snack on them. There is just something about fresh warm tortillas that can’t be beat!
Plus this flour tortilla recipe is so simple to make, just 5 ingredients and a few minutes of work. They will be any store bought tortilla you can find! You can make a huge batch of them and store for later too.
Can you Freeze Flour Tortillas
Yes, you definitely can. You want to have a piece of parchment paper or plastic wrap in between the tortillas, so they don’t freeze together. Then just store them in a freeze safe bag for a few months. You can just take out however many you need. If you let them set on the counter, they will thaw in about 20 minutes. Then you can microwave to warm them when you are ready to use them.
How to Store Flour Tortillas
Let the tortillas cool completely and then just store in a resealable plastic bag. Place them in the fridge for about a week. You can just microwave them to warm before serving.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup warm water
- In a large bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder, and oil. Slowly add the water, mixing with a wooden spoon. Stir until it forms a sticky ball.
- Turn the ball onto a floured surface, and knead for 2 minutes until a soft smooth dough has formed.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap, and let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Divide dough into 16 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap for 10 minutes.
- Flatten dough, and using a rolling pin or tortilla press to roll flat. They will be about 6 or 7 inches in diameter.
- Heat a skillet or a griddle to medium high heat. Cook tortillas for about 1 minute on the first side, until it starts to bubble. Flip, and cook for about 1 more minute until golden brown.
- Remove and serve. If not using right away, allow to cool completely before storing.
Recipe from The Cafe Sucre Farine
Amount Per Serving Calories 125Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 0mgSodium 177mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 1gSugar 0gProtein 2g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.