If my Facebook page is any indication, you guys love using your slow cooker. It was a resounding yes that you wanted more slow cooker recipes. Then the other day I mentioned I was using mine, and at least 20 of you chimed in that you were making something in your slow cooker that same day. I just bought a giant beef roast that I am going to play with next week, so keep the slow cookers ready.
I know lots of people tried Slow Cooker Tikka Masala and loved it, so hopefully this sesame chicken will go over just as well! The sauce comes together in just a few minutes, so it is great for busy nights. Sesame chicken is one of my 8 year olds favorite when we get Chinese take out. This is a much healthier version, that he still really enjoyed.
Cooking chicken in a slow cooker can be a little tricky. It tends to dry out much quicker than beef or pork. I find that starting with frozen chicken breasts helps a little. Or using chicken thighs makes an even bigger difference. Chicken thighs have a little bit more fat in them, so they are much more forgiving if you cook them a little longer. All slow cookers are different with how quickly they cook things, so it can take a little trial and error to make sure your chicken is still tender.
- 2 pounds boneless, , skinless chicken (breasts or thighs)
- salt and pepper
- 1 small onion, , finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, , grated
- 1 Tbls fresh ginger, , grated
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 Tbls canola oil
- 1/4 -1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 3 Tbls toasted sesame seeds
- 1 green onion, , chopped (optional garnish)
- In a bowl combine onion, garlic, ginger, honey, soy sauce, ketchup, canola oil, and red pepper flakes. Mix to combine.
- Place chicken in the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper. Pour honey mixture over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- During the last 20 minutes of cooking remove the chicken from the slow cooker. Dissolve cornstarch in the warm water. Add to sauce, and whisk to combine. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile shred the chicken. Add back to the sauce, tossing to combine.
- Serve over rice, with a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Garnish with green onions if desired.
Recipe adapted from Damn Delicious
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per ServingCalories 398 Total Fat 17g Saturated Fat 3g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 12g Cholesterol 101mg Sodium 1081mg Carbohydrates 26g Fiber 2g Sugar 19g Protein 36g