Slow Cooker Balsamic Pork – Creamy polenta topped with slow cooker balsamic pork and a creamy avocado cream. Super easy comfort food!
Lately I am kind of obsessed with my crock pot. There are so many great things you can make in it. This slow cooker balsamic pork is a staple all fall and winter long at our house. Seriously so good, and can be eaten in so many different ways.
I have to say this slow cooker balsamic pork is kind of just pure comfort food. I served it over my favorite creamy polenta, so it is hearty and delicious. Plus, I am a sucker for anything with avocado, so adding avocado cream on top just brings it all together.
Don’t be afraid of totally mixing up dinner with your crock pot. Tikka Masala in the crock pot is darn amazing. Serve it up with some rice or naan bread and you have another comfort food dinner you can have waiting for you at the end of the day. Or French Dip Sandwiches are one of my favorites to make too – then you have tons of leftovers for the week; my kind of dinner.
The first time I made this balsamic pork, we had friends over. It was a huge hit, we hardly had any leftovers. Considering there was just 5 of us, that says a lot. My son wasn’t a big fan of the polenta part of it, but he ate crazy amounts of the pork. The second time I made it we used the leftovers as a pulled pork sandwich, and that was wonderful too. And we have been making for years since!
Here are some of my favorite kitchen items used to make this recipe:
- Slow Cooker – I like this crock pot from Hamilton Beach. It has a temperature probe and a timer. It is reasonably priced and great for cooking everything from roasts to desserts
- Pots and Pans – A good set of pots and pans is a must! You want the food to cook evenly, and the pans to last for years and years! I have had these Calphalon Comtempory pans for many years, and I will love them.
- 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder
- 1 cup beef broth
- 4 cloves garlic, , grated
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbls honey
- 2 Tbls soy sauce
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup polenta
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 avocado
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Combine all of the ingredients for the Balsamic Pork (minus the pork shoulder). Mix until well combined.
- Place pork in the slow cooker. Pour balsamic mixture over the top. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours. Using 2 forks, shred pork. Add back to the liquid and keep warm.
- To cook the polenta heat milk and chicken broth in a saucepan. Whisk in polenta and salt. Cook, whisking frequently, for about 10-15 minutes or until thickened. Mix in cream cheese until well combined.
- Meanwhile mash avocado and mix with sour cream, salt and pepper.
- To serve scoop polenta into the bottom of a bowl. Top with shredded pork and a dollop of avocado cream.
Adapted from Running to the Kitchen
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 826Total Fat 58gSaturated Fat 22gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 30gCholesterol 226mgSodium 1338mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 2gSugar 6gProtein 58g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.