Slow Cooker Tikka Masala
Slow Cooker Tikka Masala – Use your slow cooker to make a flavorful, comforting Indian Chicken Tikka Masala
I asked on my Facebook page the other day if you guys loved your slow cooker and wanted to see more recipes for it. It was a resounding yes! So I jotted down a few ideas, and am starting to work on it. This Slow Cooker Tikka Masala is the first one I did. My family loves Indian food, so it was kind of a no-brainer for me to start with Tikka Masala.
Indian food can be higher in fat and calories sometimes. I took the opportunity to lighten it up here, so that I didn’t feel guilty eating it. The more often I can eat a comforting bowl of this stuff, the better! Lots of people seem to love Indian food, but are somewhat intimidated making it at home.
It really is pretty easy. A few spices (that you can find in your normal grocery store), and you are good to go. The rest of the ingredients are ones you probably already have on hand. Easy Coconut Chicken Curry is ready in minutes, if you want Indian food fast.
My husband isn’t always thrilled when he comes home to see the slow cooker is out. He has it in his head that nothing good (aside from pulled pork sandwiches) comes out of there. This completely proved him wrong. He was pretty surprised about this one, and was already talking about the next time I am going to make it.
He is pretty sure that white fish would be really good with this sauce as well. My 8 year old came home and could immediately smell we were having Indian food for dinner, and was excited. The leftovers made perfect lunches too. Homemade Naan bread is the perfect side dish to make with slow cooker tikka masala. Great to eat up all that delicious sauce!
- 5 boneless , skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces (about 3 pounds)
- 1 small onion , finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 Tbls fresh ginger , grated
- 1 (29 oz) can tomato puree
- 1 1/2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbls olive oil
- 2 Tbls Garam Masala
- 1 Tbls cumin
- 1/2 Tbls paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (more if you like things spicy)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup half and half (or heavy cream)
- 1/2 Tbls cornstarch
- Serve over rice
- Garnish with chopped cilantro
- In the insert of your slow cooker mix together onion, garlic, ginger, tomato puree, yogurt, olive oil, Garam Masala, cumin, paprika, salt, cinnamon, pepper, and cayenne. Once well combined and smooth, add chicken pieces, and toss to coat.
- Add bay leaves.
- Cover and cook for 6 hours on low (3 hours on high)
- Whisk together half and half with the cornstarch. During the last 20 minutes of cooking, stir in the half and half. Cover and continue to cook for 20 minutes.
- Serve over rice. Garnish with cilantro if desired.
Chicken Thighs could be used as well.