Are you ready for the weekend? After two weeks of holidays, this felt like the longest work week ever! Hopefully the weekend is relaxing and full of good times to make up for it. My husband and son get to go to a Denver Nuggets game on Saturday night, so I am sure they are going to have fun. I get to go out with a friend, so you know that I will be having fun! Have you entered the giveaway for a Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer yet? Ends this weekend!
I love Greek food. Gyros are my favorite. We have a couple places in town that we go to, and I always get Gyros (or the Gyro platter if you are going to get picky). Between the Tzatziki sauce and the grilled lamb, I am in heaven. But I don’t always want to go out to have to enjoy Gyros. I have seen plenty of recipes for chicken Gyros at home, but I wanted something closer to the real thing. So I set to work to research and see what I could come up with.
I didn’t use lamb in this recipe, only because of cost. If you can find it on sale or want to splurge on it, then go for it! I used a lean ground beef to make it a little healthier. Gyros are really only good though if you have a good Tzatziki sauce! This was a good one, not quite the same as my favorite restaurant, but I will keep working on it 🙂 It is a tough job, but someones gotta do it, right? You can serve this with homemade pitas if you want to go all out (they are so much better!).
- 1 small onion, , shredded or really finely chopped
- 2 pounds ground beef, (ground lamb is even better)
- 3 clove garlic, , minced
- 1 Tbls dried marjoram
- 1 Tbls dried rosemary
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 small cucumber, , peeled, seeded, and shredded, and all of the liquid squeezed out.
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbls olive oil
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbls dill
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Add ground beef, onion, garlic, marjoram, rosemary, salt and pepper to a food processor. Process for about 1 minute, until it forms a paste.
- Scrape out the mixture onto a lined jelly roll pan (any pan with sides). Press the mixture firmly into a rectangle about 1-2 inches thick. Make sure to firmly pack it together.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Don't over bake or the meat will be dry. The internal temp should be 175.
- Remove meat from the oven, and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve on a pita topped with lettuce, red onion, tomatoes and Tzatziki Sauce.
- To prepare the Tzatziki Sauce Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl, and mix until well combined.
Slightly Adapted from Food Network
Serving Size6 -8
Amount Per ServingCalories 488Total Fat 29gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 138mgSodium 1135mgCarbohydrates 6gFiber 0gSugar 3gProtein 49g