Easy Coconut Chicken Curry – a quick and easy chicken curry with coconut milk for creamy and delicious dinner.
We love Indian and Thai food at our house. Anything that has curry in the name gets our attention. Including my son, he is a huge fan and has been since he was little. Now that he is getting older he even likes more heat in his food.
So often curries take a really long time to make, and to get all the flavors to come together. This Slow Cooker Tikka Masala is nice, because it just sits in the crock pot all day. But sometimes I want all the deliciousness that comes with a coconut chicken curry without the wait.
Coconut milk is not my husband’s favorite. He will eat it, but if he had a choice he would pick something else. So when I had a friend over for lunch the other day, I knew exactly what I was going to make. Her husband seems to have the same tastes as mine, so we like to get together and make things they won’t eat. Like Creamy Chicken Stroganoff, since they don’t like mushrooms.
Easy coconut chicken curry comes together in under 30 minutes. Curry powder and garam masala give the chicken lots of flavor. And the coconut milk and tomato sauce blend with it all and make such a great sauce.
We always serve our curries over rice, and extra rice at that. All that sauce needs to get eaten, and rice is a great way to go. You could also go with Naan Bread to soak up all that great sauce. Or grab a spoon, just make sure you don’t let any of the sauce go to waste.
If you are a fan of curry at all, give this easy coconut chicken curry a try. There isn’t a lot of spice (you can definitely add some), and it is great for any night of the week.
How to Make Coconut Chicken Curry
- Brown the chicken and the onions together in a skillet with the spices. Everything cooks together and the heat helps develop the flavors in the curry.
- Once the chicken is brown on the outside (but not necessarily cooked through) add the garlic and cook for about a minute until you start to smell it.
- Pour in the coconut milk, tomato sauce and sugar. Mix everything together and bring it to a simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Once it is nice and thick it is done. Serve over rice with cilantro
Curry can be intimidating, but it doesn’t have to be. This is ready in under 30 minutes and it is so full of flavor. It uses ingredients you can find in the normal grocery store, so you don’t have to run around town and make special trips to the Asian market. You really can make a delicious curry in no time for a quick and easy dinner.
More Curry Recipes
- Chicken Tikka Masala
- Indian Butter Chicken
- Coconut Curry Shrimp
- Coconut Curry Meatballs
- Thai Green Curry Chicken
- Chicken Curry
- Basil Coconut Chicken Curry
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 - 1 1/2 pounds chicken, cut into cubes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 Tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 (14 oz) can coconut milk
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- Cilantro for Garnish
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium high heat. Add chicken and onions to the pan. Sprinkle curry powder, garam masala, salt and pepper over chicken. Cook for 4-5 minutes until browned.
- Add garlic, and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Mix in coconut milk, tomato sauce, and sugar. Bring to a low simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Serve over rice. Garnish with cilantro.
Amount Per Serving Calories 536Total Fat 31gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 107mgSodium 820mgCarbohydrates 33gFiber 3gSugar 4gProtein 32g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!