Red Onion Salsa – Fresh tomatoes, red onions, and spicy peppers in this delicious salsa. Fresh and perfect with chips for a snack or an appetizer!
This post is up late today! That is what you get when you have visitors and lots of fun over the weekend. We went up into the mountains both days, enjoyed the gorgeous scenery, and beautiful weather. After dropping my family off at the airport last night, we made our way back to Fort Collins, and I was just too tired to do much of anything. I was supposed to have a fun post for you today, but it hasn’t been officially approved yet, hopefully later this week!
I do have a Giveaway going on, you don’t want to miss!
Tomorrow is the first day of school for my 2nd grader. Today we need to go grocery shopping (need stuff for school lunches again), label his school supplies, meet the teacher, and try to do something fun for this last day of summer break! A lot to cram into one little day, good thing we all slept in today 🙂
This salsa is one we have been making for years! When we first got married almost 11 years ago, we started planting a garden. Salsa was the one thing we wanted to get out of our garden, so lots of tomatoes and peppers were planted. This is one of the first recipes we tried, and have been making it since. It is always a hit with friends and at get-togethers. I made this before my parents got here, and when we had it with dinner even my mom remembered having this salsa many times before.
Unfortunately, I do not know the source of this recipe. I have it handwritten on a recipe card, with no reference to where we found it.
- 1 small red onion, (about 3/4 cup), coarsely chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes, , coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, , minced
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, (about 2 limes)
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 hobanero pepper, , seeded and minced (sub any hot pepper you have)
- In a food processor combine the onion, garlic, and hobanero pepper. Process until finely chopped. Add in tomatoes, lime juice, seasonings, and olive oil. Pulse a few times until to desired consistency. Test, and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Store in an air-tight container in the fridge. Lasts for at least a week.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per ServingCalories 20 Total Fat 1g Saturated Fat 0g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 1g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 390mg Carbohydrates 3g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 1g Sugar 1g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 1g