Stuffed Mushrooms – A great appetizer for just about any occasion. Sausage stuffed mushrooms are full of Italian seasoning, sausage and plenty of cheese!
I am a huge fan of mushrooms. I will put them in just about anything Smothered Pork Chops has a creamy mushroom sauce that is great on just about anything. My family doesn’t love them as much as I do, but I would have them just about ever day.
Hamburger Steaks with Mushroom Gravy is a great budget friendly weeknight dinner to get your mushroom fix. But if you are throwing a dinner party and need an appetizer, or just want a tasty little snack, these stuffed mushroom are it!
I have been making this stuffed mushroom recipe for years. I think it started as a recipe from my brother. We were hosting a party probably 10 years ago, and he served these mushrooms. Over the years they have been slightly changed to these perfect little popable bites!
I like to use spicy Italian sausage so you get a little more flavor, but if you aren’t one for heat, regular Italian sausage works great too. The cheese ties it all together so they get all melty and delicious. Nothing like these easy stuffed mushrooms to impress at your next party.
How to Make Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- Start by browning the sausage. Once it is broken apart and fully cooked, you want to drain away any grease. I like to put paper towel on a plate and let it absorb the grease while the sausage cools.
- Let the sausage cool before mixing the filling. You don’t want the hot sausage to melt the cheese before you fill your mushrooms.
- Mix the filling and then you are ready to start stuffing. You can store the filling in the fridge until you are ready. It is great to make the day ahead.
- Fill the mushrooms using a teaspoon. You will get a lot of filling in each mushroom, if you are using white button mushrooms. You can pile it up on the top, as the cheese melts it will all stick together. You can place the filled mushrooms in the fridge until you are ready to bake them.
- Bake the mushrooms until they are hot and bubbly. They are best served warm, but even room temperature they are still tasty.
Can Stuffed Mushrooms be Made Ahead
Yes, you can definitely make the filling ahead of time. You can even get to the point of filling the mushrooms. Just place them in the fridge until you are ready to bake them. They are best prepared the day before and then just baked the day of right before you want to serve them.
Can you Freeze Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
Yes, the mushrooms can be frozen. I would not freeze them after they are baked. But if you want to make them ahead and freeze them that works great. Completely thaw them before baking.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
- 24-36 white button mushrooms, , cleaned and stems removed
- 6 oz Italian sausage
- 1 clove garlic, , minced
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Additional Mozzarella cheese, , if desired.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Brown the sausage in the large skillet. Add the garlic, and cook until the sausage is no longer pink. Drain the fat away. In a bowl mix together the sausage, bread crumbs, panko bread crumbs, and the cheese. Stir until everything is well combined.
- Line up the mushrooms on a baking sheet. Drizzle a little olive oil over all of the mushrooms. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Fill each mushroom with about 1 tsp filling, depending on the size. Sprinkle with additional cheese, if desired. Bake for 5-10 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Best served warm.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per ServingCalories 109 Total Fat 7g Saturated Fat 3g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 5g Cholesterol 14mg Sodium 225mg Carbohydrates 6g Fiber 1g Sugar 1g Protein 6g