I must admit I am not really a fan of eggrolls. At least the traditional Chinese version. I like the idea of them, I just can’t find one that I like. We have a friend who makes traditional Vietnamese eggrolls, and those I like. Apparently I like lots of meat 🙂 Those are mainly ground pork, with some bean threads and a few other things. I could eat those every day, they are so good.
These eggrolls are obviously not your traditional eggrolls, which is probably why I like them. I found these on Pinterest, and knew I had to try them. They have chicken, bacon, and avocado – one of my favorite combinations of food! Plus an avocado dipping sauce. What is not to like with these? Per the notes on the original recipe, I did add cheese to the filling. It really did make everything stick together, and worked perfectly with the filling.
I was very happy with how these turned out. They were a great dinner that was on the healthy side. The eggrolls are baked instead of fried. These would make for a great appetizer or snack at a party. And if you wanted to go all out, these would be amazing deep fried! The dipping sauce is super easy to put together, and worked great with the egg rolls. I am not a fan of ranch dressing, but here the seasonings were perfect. Even my super picky 7 year old ate some of these.
- 6 or 7 eggroll wrappers
- 2 cups grilled chicken , finely chopped
- 1 California Avocado , diced
- 6 strips of bacon , cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup cheddar cheese , shredded
- 1 California Avocado
- 1 Tbls Ranch dressing mix
- 1 Tbls mayo (I used light)
- 1 tsp lime juice
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Brush baking sheet with olive oil, or use a sil pat liner.
- In a large bowl combine chicken, diced avocado, bacon, and cheddar cheese. Mix until well combined. Lay 1 eggroll wrapper on the counter. Fill with about 1/3 cup of filling, leaving about 1/2 in border around the edges. Wet the edges of the wrapper. Fold the sides over. Then starting with edge closest to you, fold over, making sure the filling stays inside. Use a little additional water to seal if needed. (You are folding like a burrito) Repeat with the rest of the filling.
- Place the eggrolls seam side down on prepared baking sheet. Brush with olive oil. Bake for 15-17 minutes, until golden brown and crispy. You can use the broiler for the last minute if you want them more golden. Slice in half on an angel to serve.
- While the eggrolls are baking you can make the dipping sauce. In a small bowl, using a fork, mash the avocado. Mix with the ranch seasoning and the mayo until smooth. Add the lime juiced and stir (helps prevent it from browning).
- Serve sliced eggrolls with dipping sauce.
“Join I Wash… You Dry and Southern Fairytale for the California Avocado Cinco de Mayo Recipe Fiesta, sponsored by the California Avocado Commission.”