Parmesan Roasted Chickpeas – roasting chickpeas get them super crunchy. A great healthy snack or topping to a salad.
I can’t believe that the kids start school here next week. This summer has flown by! This week my son is in tennis lessons, and he has been looking forward to it all summer long. The only downside is it is from 10:30-12:30 every day. It is crazy hot, no clouds and kind of miserable during that part of the day. So far it has been good though, he brings 2 water bottles, comes home to drink a 3rd, and then heads to the pool to cool off. Oh, the life of a little boy! Today I think we are going to go see a movie, so he can cool off in the air conditioning instead.
So what is your favorite thing to snack on? I wish I could say apple slices or carrot sticks or something healthy, but I can’t. I like those things, but I would much rather eat chips or crackers or something like that. Unfortunately my jeans don’t agree, so I have to come up with something that meets what I am craving, but isn’t so bad for me. I have been wanting to try roasted chickpeas for a ever, and I finally got around to it! And these Parmesan Roasted Chickpeas were full of flavor, crunchy, and definitely did not taste like chickpeas.
Roasting chickpeas dries them out and they get super crunchy. Then you can season them however you want. I went for a few herbs and Parmesan cheese with these. I also didn’t want to heat up the house with the oven, so I did it in a skillet on the stove top. Either way works great. The result and a pop-able snack that is crispy, salty, and hits all the notes I want in chips and crackers, but in a healthy way. They are great to grab or you can put them on a salad in place of croutons. Kind of excited for all the different flavor combinations you can make – Indian spiced, taco, garlic….. So grab a can of chickpeas and try it out!
Parmesan Roasted Chickpeas - roasting chickpeas get them super crunchy. A great healthy snack or topping to a salad.
5 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas
- 2 Tbls olive oil
- 2 Tbls Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Drain and rinse the can of chickpeas. Pat dry (or let sit on a baking sheet, in a single layer, until dry).
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat, add oil, swirling to coat. Pour in dried chickpeas. Let the chickpeas cook for 17-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. They will be slightly golden brown and crispy.
- In a bowl mix together Parmesan, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Remove chickpeas from heat and toss with seasoning to coat.
- Cool completely in a single layer on a baking sheet. Store in an air tight container once completely cooled.
Recipe Adapted from Cooking Light - http://www.cookinglight.com/food/quick-healthy/quick-easy-appetizer-recipes/crispy-parmesan-chickpeas
Looking for more healthier snack ideas?
Other Chickpea Recipes You Might Like:
- Salt and Vinegar Roasted Chickpeas from A Beautiful Plate
- Chocolate Roasted Chickpeas by Lauren Kelly Nutrition
- Crispy BBQ Roasted Chickpeas by She Likes Food
- Crunchy Roasted Chickpeas by A Cedar Spoon