Graham cracker flavored cupcake filled with chocolate ganache and topped with a toasted marshmallow frosting.
I swear summer just started, but it is already the end of August, and school is back in session. I have no idea how time goes by so quickly! So to say that Pass the Cookbook Club snuck up on me this month, is an understatement! I thought I had a couple weeks left to figure out what I was going to do, but nope….just a couple days. Thankfully I have friends who like cupcakes, so it was a quick decision on what to make.
This month The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook was chosen. I have heard really good things about this book, so I was excited to get a glimpse inside. I picked the S’mores Layer Cake, but obviously changed things up a bit! We are a family of 3, and one of us doesn’t like chocolate, and one of us 8 years old. So a layer cake is way more than I know what to do with. Well, I know what to do with it, but way more than I need to eat on my own! So I opted to turn them into cupcakes so we could eat a couple, and I could give the rest to friends!
S’mores cupcakes have a graham cracker flavored cake base. They are then filled with a smooth chocolate ganache, and topped with a marshmallow frosting. I had serious issues with the frosting called for in the recipe. After doing some research I don’t think I heated it enough, so it never formed stiff peaks. At the time I didn’t have enough eggs to try again, so I decided to opt for a toasted marshmallow buttercream instead. There are actual toasted marshmallows in the frosting! So good! Whether you make the traditional layer cake or cupcakes, you need to try these!
- 1 cup butter , softened
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups honey graham crackers , processed into a fine powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 lbs milk chocolate , finely chopped
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter , softened
- 10 large marshmallows
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 Tbls milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 24 muffin cups with liners or spray well with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter, sugar, and brown sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture, mix until mostly combined. Add 1/2 of the buttermilk, mix to combine. Continue alternating, scraping down the bowl as necessary.
- Fill the muffin cups about 2/3rds full. Bake for 14-18 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the chocolate filling. Add chocolate to a heat-safe bowl. In a small saucepan bring the heavy cream and salt to a simmer. Pour over chocolate. Cover and let sit for a couple minutes. Whisk until smooth. Place in the fridge to set up. Or place bowl over an ice bath to speed things ups.
- To make the frosting preheat broiler. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat liner. Place marshmallows on baking sheet. Heat for about 1 minute in the oven, or until they start to brown. Turn the marshmallows over, and brown the other side for about 1 minute.
- In a bowl for an electric mixer cream together butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and milk until fluffy. With the mixer on medium-high add the marshmallows a couple at a time. Beat until light and fluffy.
- To fill the cupcakes use a small knife and cut a 1 inch circle, about 1 inch deep from the top of each cupcake. Using a spoon (or you could pipe it), fill each cupcake with about 1 Tbls of chocolate filing. The amount will depend on how big your hole is.
- Once filled, frost each cupcake