As I type this, I am sitting with my feet propped up. We had a family football game on Thanksgiving, and it didn’t end well for me. My brother and I got our feet tangled up, and he ended up stepping on my foot pretty bad. We took a trip to urgent care the next morning to find out it wasn’t broken, but with orders to rest, not put weight on it, and ice it. So I have been on crutches for a couple days. Today was the first day I hobbled around without them! Really not sure what this is going to mean for my running, but I am not thrilled 🙁
So, on to the food! My husband was watching football, and saw a commercial for a Baja Chicken Sandwich from Quiznos, and asked if I could make that at home. After checking out their menu, this is what I came up with. I have no idea if it is even close, but it sure is good. I made a chipotle mayo, and a southwestern style barbeque sauce for this sandwich. Add chicken, bacon and cheddar cheese, and you are done. Comes together very quickly, so it is great for a quick weeknight meal.
My husband was very happy with how this turned out. I skipped the chipotle mayo for my 7 year old, due to the heat. I was a little nervous about him eating it, but he loved it. Once he saw the bacon, I am not sure he cared too much about what else was there. I love having sandwich night for dinner, and this is great because you can customize them for everyone without extra work. Someone doesn’t like mayo, leave it off that one. Husband likes extra cheese, just add more. Plus, this would be great for leftover chicken (or even turkey).
- 1 large chicken breast, , pounded thin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup mayo, (I used light)
- 1 -2 tsp chipotle in adobo
- 1/4 tsp salt
- dash black pepper
- Southwest Barbeque sauce
- 1/3 cup smokey barbeque sauce, , (recipe here) or store bought
- 1 Tbls taco seasoning
- 4 brat buns
- 4 strips bacon, , cooked and crumbled
- Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl combine all of the seasonings for the chicken. Sprinkle evenly over both sides of chicken. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove from oven, and thinly slice.
- While the chicken is cooking prepare the sauces. For the Chipotle mayo, mix everything together in a small bowl. Set aside. Mix together the barbeque sauce ingredients in a separate bowl, set aside.
- Once the chicken is sliced, prepare the sandwiches. Spread the Chipotle Mayo on the top half of the bun. Spread the barbeque sauce on the bottom half of the bun. Place slices of chicken over the barbeque sauce. Sprinkle the crumbled bacon evenly over the chicken, and top with cheese. Place on a baking sheet, and toast for 5-7 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Amount Per Serving Calories 577Total Fat 27gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 19gCholesterol 72mgSodium 1644mgCarbohydrates 53gFiber 2gSugar 16gProtein 28g