A couple of weeks ago we had our last cooking club of the year. Cooking club goes with the school schedule, so we take a break over the summer. This month the theme was Island food. Everything everyone brought was incredible, I can’t wait to try a couple of the recipes and share them with you.
I brought this Caribbean Rice, as well as a drink I will share with you soon. Now, I am not sure this rice is authentic in any way. It just has flavors I think of when I think of tropical islands. Coconut, pineapple, and lime all say tropical to me. This rice was a huge hit. It is sweet because of the coconut milk, but not overly sweet that you can’t have it for dinner. Unfortunately my family won’t go for fruit in their rice, so it will be awhile before I get to have this again.
This rice didn’t reheat the best. Admittedly I am not the best with leftovers, so it could have just been me. I would scale back a little if I was making it for less than 4 or 5 people. It is super easy to make though, so it works great for a weeknight meal. A nice little island escape in the middle of the week sounds perfect right now!
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1/2 cup dried pineapple, , chopped
- 2 tsp butter
- 1/2 tsp lime zest
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cilantro, , chopped
- 1 lime, , juiced
- Pour coconut milk into a measuring cup. Fill with water to equal 2 1/2 cups.
- In a saucepan bring liquid to a boil. Add rice, pineapple, butter, lime zest and salt. Stir to combine.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and let simmer for about 20 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, add cilantro and lime juice before serving.
Adapted from Cooking Light
Amount Per Serving Calories 210Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 3mgSodium 118mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 0gSugar 8gProtein 2g