I am happy to be back with #SundaySupper this week. This is only my second time joining them, but it is such a supportive and great group to be a part of. Today we are celebrating the 4th of July. Seriously, check out all the amazing recipes at the end of this post. I am really not sure how to pick what I am going to make on the 4th, there are just too many delicious options!
I am completely obsessed with avocado. I put it on sandwiches, in salads, in pasta salads, eat it plain….you get the point. I just realized that the last #SundaySupper post had avocado too 🙂 Anyway, when I saw this recipe for a quinoa with an avocado dressing I was one happy girl. I have been trying so many different quinoa recipes lately, this just seemed like the perfect one to try next.
You could really change this up and put in whatever veggies you like. I stuck with the more “Mexican” style veggies, if there is such a thing. But really, anything you have on hand or is your favorite would work. The avocado dressing is what really stands out in this to me. It is so creamy, and buttery it just works well with the quinoa. And a bonus of this salad? It is great warm or cold. Perfect for your 4th of July picnic or barbeque!
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 1 1/4 cups Chicken Broth (or however much liquid your Quinoa calls for)
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn , thawed
- 1 small zucchini , sauted
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 3 green onions , chopped
- 1/4 fresh cilantro , chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 jalapeno , seeded and minced
- Creamy Avocado Dressing
- 1 avocado , pitted
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro , chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 tbls red wine vinegar
- 1 lime , juiced
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbls olive oil
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil, and cook quinoa as directed on package.
- In a large bowl combine all the veggies and seasonings for the salad. In a food processor, pulse together everything for the dressing, but the olive oil. You might need to scrape down the sides a couple times. Once smooth, slowly stream in the olive oil.
- Combine the cooked quinoa with the veggies, and then stir in the avocado dressing. Stir until well coated.
- Can be served warm or cold.
Adapted from Bake Your Day
Amount Per ServingCalories 258 Total Fat 13g Saturated Fat 2g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 10g Cholesterol 1mg Sodium 459mg Carbohydrates 34g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 8g Sugar 9g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 7g