Mediterranean Quinoa Salad – a light and fresh quinoa salad with tomatoes, green olives and tossed with a lemon vinaigrette. Great warm or cold all year round!
We have talked side dishes before, and how I struggle with what to make. In the summer I am all about making pasta salad or some kind of corn salad with everything. Grilling burgers, chicken or pork is pretty much my favorite thing to do all summer long. But my family gets a little tired of the same sides, so I came up with this quinoa salad that goes with just about anything.
Quinoa isn’t always my family’s’ favorite thing. My 11 year old doesn’t love it, but my husband will happily eat it if has lots of flavor. To help make this quinoa not boring, I cooked it in chicken stock. So right from the start, you have more flavor. Then the lemon vinaigrette makes it super fresh and bright. Definitely not a boring and bland side dish. I used STAR Fine Foods new low sodium Pimento Green Olives for this salad as well as lots of fresh tomatoes, red onions, and parsley. To make it even better, add some Feta when you serve it. You can add some of your other favorite veggies if you want too. I almost added artichokes, because my husband loves them.
This Mediterranean quinoa salad is great served hot or cold. You can make it right before dinner and have warm the first night, and then eat straight from the fridge the next day. Or make ahead of time to bring to any get together you are going to. Quinoa is neutral enough you can serve with anything; pork chops, barbecue, chicken, burgers…..you name it. Everyone will love it! As it sits you may need to add a little more olive oil or lemon juice if it dries out. Mine sat for 5 hours and I didn’t need to add any, but if you let it sit overnight taste before serving.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 8 oz grape tomatoes , halved
- 1 (7 oz) jar Star Pimiento Stuffed Green Olives (low-sodium), chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion , chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley , chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon , juiced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Rinse quinoa until the water runs clear. In a sauce pan combine chicken stock and quinoa. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, thyme, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Once cooked mix together quinoa, tomatoes, green olives, red onion, and parsley.
- Pour vinaigrette over quinoa mixture, and mix well.
- Cover and store in the fridge until ready to serve.
Option: Add Feta cheese to serve
Want more summer side dishes?
**I was compensated by STAR Fine Foods to create this recipes. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.