Cranberry Apple Coleslaw – an easy homemade creamy coleslaw that you can make ahead of time, and bring to any summer get together. Or serve at home with just about anything!
If I ask you to think of a few summer side dishes, a few things come to mine; corn on the cob, pasta salad and coleslaw. At least, that is what I think of. Personally I am not a huge fan of traditional coleslaw. Just mayo with a little salt and pepper is not enough for me! Especially when the dressing is so thick that is all you can taste.
I like it to be light and fresh. So I decided to add apples, dried cranberries, and take the dressing up a notch. Definitely a creamy coleslaw recipe that needs to stick around! If you are more of a no mayo coleslaw kind of person, don’t miss my Summer Coleslaw recipe – it is vinegar based and great for summer.
This post is sponsored by STAR Fine Foods. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.
What You Need
- Cabbage – You can use a bag of coleslaw mix, a bag of shredded cabbage or you can slice a head of cabbage yourself.
- Shredded Carrots – If you use the coleslaw mix that has carrots in it, you don’t need to use this full amount, but I do like to add about 1/2 cup extra to the bag, so you get more sweetness and crunch.
- Apples – use your favorite apple and cut them into matchstick pieces
- Dried Cranberries
- Sliced Almonds
- Olive Oil
- Apple Cider Vinegar
If you have extra cabbage, another favorite use is this Asian Napa Cabbage Slaw. Everyone asks for the recipe when you serve it!
Can You Make Coleslaw Ahead Of Time
Yes, this is one of those recipes that gets better the longer it sits. I like to make this first thing in the morning and let the dressing blend and bring all of the flavors together, as it sits in the fridge all day. By dinner time it is perfect! The leftovers are great too. The coleslaw dressing isn’t very heavy, so the cabbage doesn’t get too soggy.
The sweetness of the dried cranberries and the crunch from the almonds are definitely an unexpected twist that everyone will love. So if you are grilling out, going to a barbecue, or just making chicken skewers or pork chops at home; this homemade coleslaw will be a hit!
How to Make Coleslaw
- In a large bowl mix together cabbage, carrots, apples, cranberries and almonds. You can shred the cabbage yourself or you can use a bag of coleslaw mix as a shortcut.
- Then in a separate small bowl whisk together mayo, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper to make the dressing. You want to mix until it is nice and smooth.
- Pour the dressing over cabbage mixtures and toss everything together to coat. Make sure that everything is really well coated with the dressing.
- Put it in the fridge for at least 2 hours to bring all of the flavors together. Before serving taste to see if you need to adjust the salt and pepper.
More Summer Side Dish Recipes
- Baked Beans
- Greek Salad
- BLT Pasta Salad
- Corn Fritters
- Grilled Baked Potatoes
- Classic Potato Salad
- Greek Pasta Salad
Cranberry Apple Coleslaw
Cranberry Apple Coleslaw - an easy coleslaw recipe that you can make ahead of time, and bring to any summer get together. Or serve at home with just about anything!
- 1 small head cabbage, shredded (approx. 6 cups)
- 1 ½ cups shredded carrots
- 2 cups apples, cut into matchsticks (approx. 2 large apples)
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ¼ cup mayo
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- In a large bowl mix together cabbage, carrots, apples, cranberries and almonds.
- In a small bowl whisk together mayo, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Pour over cabbage mixture, tossing to coat.
- Let set in fridge for 2 hours before serving. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if necessary.
Amount Per Serving Calories 300Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 20gCholesterol 4mgSodium 468mgCarbohydrates 23gFiber 4gSugar 16gProtein 3g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Did you know there is a Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts SHOP? Check out all of my E-books as well as branded merchandise HERE! Or you can buy me a coffee to say thanks!
**This post is sponsored by STAR Fine Foods. I was compensated for my time to create this recipe. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands I love, and that make Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts possible.
- Beef Stroganoff - March 24, 2023
- Homemade Ravioli - March 22, 2023
- Chocolate Pizza - March 20, 2023
Signup for all the new recipes to be sent to your inbox on Saturday morning!
Justine | Cooking and Beer says
Obsessed with cranberry and apple in this slaw! Looks amazing!
Angie | Big Bears Wife says
I love the apples in this! We make a lot of coleslaw during the summer so I’ll have to try this one!
Kacey @ The Cookie Writer says
Yes, please! Plain old coleslaw won’t cut it anymore! Seriously, I need this!
Trish - Mom On Timeout says
This looks absolutely SO refreshing! What a great side dish for any BBQ!
Katerina @ Diethood says
An absolutely perrrrrfect coleslaw!! I love the addition of apples!
Sandi G says
This is perfect for a picnic or cookout…I love the apple cider vinegar in this.
Susan Kline says
I will definitely try this! Looks and sounds yummy!
Des @ Life's Ambrosia says
Ooooh I love the cranberry/apple combo in fall, I never would’ve thought to make a summer coleslaw with it. Love this idea!
Jennifer Blake says
I have just recently started trying different coleslaws. I love that this one isn’t swimming in ‘dressing.’ Cranberry & apple is one of my favorite combos, especially in the fall!
That sounds delicious, I love the addition of cranberries!
Delaney | Melanie Makes says
What a great summer side dish!
This looks so yummy!
Sandra | A Dash of Sanity says
I can’t wait to try this for our next BBQ! Looks so good!
Brandy O'Neill says
Such a great idea for coleslaw! Can’t wait to try this!
Jacque Hastert says
Now I am craving BBQ just so I can make this dish.
I haven’t tried this before! This is interesting. It looks SO delish! Surely this will be added to my must-try list. Thank you so much!
Coleslaw gets a bad rap for being bland and boring… but this recipe is anything but! Seriously delicious!!
This quickly became my favorite coleslaw recipe!!
The addition of cranberry and apple takes coleslaw to a whole new level!
This was such a delicious coleslaw and unbelievably tasty too! My hubby and I loved this twist on adding cranberries and apples to it. Such a delicious and great recipe!
We love this flavor twist!