Cranberry Apple Coleslaw – an easy homemade creamy coleslaw that you can make ahead of time, and bring to any summer get together. Or serve at home with just about anything!
If I ask you to think of a few summer side dishes, a few things come to mine; corn on the cob, pasta salad and coleslaw. At least, that is what I think of. Personally I am not a huge fan of traditional coleslaw. Just mayo with a little salt and pepper is not enough for me! Especially when the dressing is so thick that is all you can taste.
I like it to be light and fresh. So I decided to add apples, dried cranberries, and take the dressing up a notch. Definitely a creamy coleslaw recipe that needs to stick around! If you are more of a no mayo coleslaw kind of person, don’t miss my Summer Coleslaw recipe – it is vinegar based and great for summer.
This post is sponsored by STAR Fine Foods. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.
What You Need
- Cabbage – You can use a bag of coleslaw mix, a bag of shredded cabbage or you can slice a head of cabbage yourself.
- Shredded Carrots – If you use the coleslaw mix that has carrots in it, you don’t need to use this full amount, but I do like to add about 1/2 cup extra to the bag, so you get more sweetness and crunch.
- Apples – use your favorite apple and cut them into matchstick pieces
- Dried Cranberries
- Sliced Almonds
- Olive Oil
- Apple Cider Vinegar
If you have extra cabbage, another favorite use is this Asian Napa Cabbage Slaw. Everyone asks for the recipe when you serve it!
Can You Make Coleslaw Ahead Of Time
Yes, this is one of those recipes that gets better the longer it sits. I like to make this first thing in the morning and let the dressing blend and bring all of the flavors together, as it sits in the fridge all day. By dinner time it is perfect! The leftovers are great too. The coleslaw dressing isn’t very heavy, so the cabbage doesn’t get too soggy.
The sweetness of the dried cranberries and the crunch from the almonds are definitely an unexpected twist that everyone will love. So if you are grilling out, going to a barbecue, or just making chicken skewers or pork chops at home; this homemade coleslaw will be a hit!
How to Make Coleslaw
- In a large bowl mix together cabbage, carrots, apples, cranberries and almonds. You can shred the cabbage yourself or you can use a bag of coleslaw mix as a shortcut.
- Then in a separate small bowl whisk together mayo, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper to make the dressing. You want to mix until it is nice and smooth.
- Pour the dressing over cabbage mixtures and toss everything together to coat. Make sure that everything is really well coated with the dressing.
- Put it in the fridge for at least 2 hours to bring all of the flavors together. Before serving taste to see if you need to adjust the salt and pepper.
More Summer Side Dish Recipes
- Baked Beans
- Greek Salad
- BLT Pasta Salad
- Corn Fritters
- Grilled Baked Potatoes
- Classic Potato Salad
- Greek Pasta Salad
- 1 small head cabbage, shredded (approx. 6 cups)
- 1 ½ cups shredded carrots
- 2 cups apples, cut into matchsticks (approx. 2 large apples)
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ¼ cup mayo
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- In a large bowl mix together cabbage, carrots, apples, cranberries and almonds.
- In a small bowl whisk together mayo, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Pour over cabbage mixture, tossing to coat.
- Let set in fridge for 2 hours before serving. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if necessary.
Amount Per Serving Calories 300Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 20gCholesterol 4mgSodium 468mgCarbohydrates 23gFiber 4gSugar 16gProtein 3g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook,and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can
share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and
tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS
recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you
never miss a post!
**This post is sponsored by STAR Fine Foods. I was compensated for my time to create this recipe. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands I love, and that make Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts possible.