Chicken Parmesan Calzones – Just 5 ingredients until you have all the flavors of chicken Parmesan, but in a hand held calzone on a weeknight!
Do you ever buy Rotisserie chickens? They have them at all the grocery stores, and they always smell so darn good! We don’t buy them often, but it is always a treat when we do. For close to $5 we get 1 full meal, and usually lunch the next day. Plus I then use the bones to make chicken stock. Such a bargain! Sometimes though, I want to do more than just eat the plain chicken. So why not use it in a ton of recipes like these Chicken Parmesan Calzones!
Trish from the blog Mom on Timeout came out with the book 100 Creative Ways to Use Rotisserie Chicken in Every Day Meals. Seriously, 100 different recipes, all in one book. And all of them using chicken. It is like a moms dream! I am constantly trying to come up with new and exciting ways to cook chicken for my family. These Chicken Parmesan Calzones were definitely a fun twist on our normal chicken dinner. Just 5 ingredients, and dinner was done! To make the calzones you use store bought pizza dough, so it is super easy to throw together on a weeknight.
I am pretty sure this cookbook has a little something for everyone! Everything from casseroles, to flautas, tacos, soups, pasta, sandwiches, and even slow cooker recipes. My 10 year old loves to go through cookbooks and magazines to pick out things he wants me to make. I usually have him either put a post it note on the page, or just make a list on a sheet of paper. The kid marked probably half the recipes in the book! And my husband will not stop asking when I am making the slow cooker chicken chile verde. So I think it is safe to say we will be making way more than just the chicken Parmesan calzones from this book!
- 3/4 cup marinara sauce , plus more for dipping
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese , shredded
- 4 oz Parmesan cheese , shredded
- olive oil to brush the calzones
- Preheat oven to 425 degree.
- In a bowl combine marinara sauce and the chicken. Mix until everything is well combined.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal sized balls. Roll each in to a 6 inch circle.
- Divide the chicken mixture evenly onto the 6 circles of dough. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese and about 1/2 of the Parmesan cheese over the chicken. Make sure to leave about 1/2 inch border around the circle.
- Fold the dough over the filling, and pinch the edges to seal. You can use a fork to press the edges together.
- Slice 2 vents across the top of the calzones. Brush with olive oil, and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with additional marinara sauce for dipping, if desired.
Amount Per ServingCalories 776 Total Fat 41g Saturated Fat 17g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 21g Cholesterol 157mg Sodium 1725mg Carbohydrates 47g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 2g Sugar 4g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 53g
This post does contain Amazon Affiliate Links. If you click on them, and buy something, I will earn a few cents.