Over the last month my 9 year old has become obsessed with soccer. He is currently playing baseball on a team, but spends almost all of his free time playing soccer in the back yard. He even saved up his allowance money, and used it to buy a USA soccer shirt. He changes into his white USA shirt and white shorts and plays games for hours on end in the back yard. Often I am called out there to be another country and play as well. Now that the World Cup is over, he is starting to go through withdrawal. He admits he isn’t very good at soccer and doesn’t really want to play on a team. So I think it is going to be a long 4 years until the next World Cup!
We have hit close to the half way point of summer break. Vacations are happening for lots of families. To me, one thing that is a must on vacation is to get ice cream. I am not sure why it is acceptable to have ice cream at 3pm while on vacation, but not at home. But it is, and I am going to go with it. And since not everyone is going on vacation right now, I figured I would bring one piece of vacation home to you! I don’t make a lot of homemade ice cream, but when I do it disappears very quickly.
For this ice cream, I didn’t want to use eggs and have to cook and chill forever. So I used the basic recipe that came with my Cuisinart ice cream maker, and modified it to get the flavor I was looking for. For a hint of chocolate and caramel in the background I used International Delight Coffee Creamer. The Hershey Chocolate Caramel creamer gave it just the flavor that I was looking for. I stirred in some extra chocolate chips right after it got done churning, because that just seemed like the right thing to do. As I was putting it into the storage container, I squeezed in some caramel sauce and used a knife to try to swirl it around. My 9 year old would have sat down and eaten the entire container if I let him, to say he loved this flavor is an understatement!
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup International Delight Hershey Chocolate Caramel Creamer
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup carmael
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- In a large bowl combine whole milk and sugar, whisking until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in heavy cream, creamer, vanilla and pinch of salt. Chill for 1 hour.
- Pour into ice cream machine, and churn according to the manufacturers directions.
- Once finished churning, stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour 1/2 of the ice cream into a storage container. Drizzle the 1/2 the caramel over the ice cream. Top with the rest of the ice cream, and the rest of the caramel. Using a knife, swirl in the caramel.
- Freeze until hard before serving.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of International Delight. The opinions and text are all mine.