Easy Chocolate Frosting – an easy homemade chocolate buttercream frosting that is rich, creamy and delicious. Perfect for cake, cookies, cupcakes, brownies and more!
If you are a chocolate dessert lover having a go to chocolate frosting recipe is a must! I grew up having store bought containers of frosting on almost everything. And while it was good, there is nothing that compares to homemade.
This homemade chocolate buttercream frosting is so easy to make, you just mix a few ingredients together and you are done. While your brownies, cakes or cupcakes are in the oven you can have this ready and waiting for them to be cool and ready to frost!
What’s In Chocolate Frosting
- Cocoa Powder
- Powdered Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
How To Make Chocolate Frosting
- In an electric stand mixer using the whisk attachment or using a hand mixer cream butter until it is nice and smooth.
- Add cocoa powder, powdered sugar, and salt and blend it together. Start slowly so the sugar doesn’t go all over the place.
- Slowly pour in the milk and whip until it gets a smooth and creamy texture. Make sure to scrape down the sides as necessary and adjust the sugar or milk if your frosting is too thick or too thin.
- Make sure that your butter is very soft when you start. You don’t want it melted, but you want it at room temperature. This ensures not only can you mix it easily, but everything creams with the butter better and makes a creamier more delicious frosting.
- If your frosting is too thick start by adding more milk. You want to start with a teaspoon at a time, a little goes a long way with the liquid in frosting.
- If your frosting is too thin, add more powdered sugar. Just add a couple tablespoons and re-mix it until you get to the consistency you are looking for.
- There is no need to sift the powdered sugar or cocoa powder when making frosting. You are mixing it with a hand mixer or a whisk attachment to a stand mixer, so that will break up any clumps and get it to the right texture.
Can You Make Frosting Ahead Of Time?
Yes, you definitely can. When you are making a cake or sugar cookies or something with a lot of steps, it is nice to get some things done ahead of time to make the project easier.
Store frosting in an air tight container in the fridge for up to a week. Just make sure to take it out a few hours before you need it, so it can come to room temperature.
How To Use Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Double Chocolate Cupcakes
- Homemade Brownies
- Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake Cake
- Peanut Butter Snack Cake
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cake
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp milk
- Using a hand mixer or the whisk attachment for an electric stand mixer whip butter until it is smooth and creamy.
- Add powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and salt until it is combined.
- Add vanilla and slowly pour in milk, beating until it is smooth and your desired consistency.
- Adjust milk or sugar as necessary if your frosting is to thick or thin.
Makes enough for a 12 cupcakes or an 8 or 9 inch square baking pan.
Amount Per Serving Calories 165Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 15mgSodium 84mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 0gSugar 27gProtein 0g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!