Peanut Butter Banana Snack Cake – This banana cake recipe is so tender and delicious with the peanut butter, chocolate chips, and topped with Nutella!
I always tend to buy too many bananas at the store. I am rather picky on the condition they are in when I eat them, so they go from good to bad in what seems like minutes. So I am always trying new recipes to use them up! This Blueberry Banana Bread is by far the most popular at my house and with you guys!
And what better way to enjoy bananas then as a banana cake! This might be the best banana cake recipe I have ever tried. I used whole wheat flour, but you would never know! The chocolate chips and extra chocolate on top make it decadent and delicious. You can never go wrong with chocolate – Banana Pancakes with chocolate chips are a weekend staple.
How to Make Banana Cake
- This cake doesn’t require a mixer! So you start by mashing your bananas in a bowl until they are nice and smooth.
- Mix in the peanut butter, oil and vanilla. You can just use a spatula or even a whisk to get this nice and smooth.
- Add the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon to the mix. You want to be careful not to over mix or your cake can come out tough. So just until the flour is mixed in and then stop.
- Add in your chocolate! You can leave out the chocolate chips if you want, but why would you? Just gently fold them in to the dough.
- Pour into a prepared pan and bake. You want to let it cool completely before you put on any frosting or chocolate or it will just melt.
This banana cake will last on the counter for 3-4 days. It is a great dessert or treat to have with your coffee or tea in the afternoon. Just cover with plastic wrap or foil and it should last a few days for you to enjoy.
Banana cake is similar in flavor to banana bread, but it is definitely different. This banana cake recipe has the texture of a cake, not the quick bread that you think of. It is more tender and not quite as dense. You can free it similar to you would banana bread though. So if you want to have a few slices stashed in your freezer you can!
Tips to Freeze Banana Cake
- If you want to freeze the whole cake you can leave it in the pan and just double wrap in foil to make sure it stays fresh.
- To freezer just a few slices, wrap each slice in plastic wrap and then either place in a freezer safe bag or wrap in foil. You want to make sure it lasts and does not get freezer burn.
How you top your cake is totally up to you! I like to drizzle just a little bit of Nutella over the top, but you could use your favorite chocolate frosting or even just leave it as is. There is chocolate chips in the cake, so if that is enough sweet for you, leave the frosting off.
Your kids will love coming home to this banana snack cake. It is really easy to make too, so when you have a couple extra bananas on the counter you can whip it up in no time!
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup Nutella (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray or line an 8 inch baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl mash the bananas. Mix in the egg, peanut butter, vanilla and oil until smooth. Add flour, sugar, and baking soda, and cinnamon mix well. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, until a tester comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool for a few minutes before drizzling with chocolate spread.
Recipe loosely based on Two Peas and Their Pod
Amount Per Serving Calories 305Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 16mgSodium 166mgCarbohydrates 39gFiber 4gSugar 25gProtein 5g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.