Chocolate Chip Banana Pancakes – light and fluffy banana pancakes with lots of chocolate chips. Great to use up those bananas on your counter!
When we go out for breakfast it is pretty much a given that my husband and son are going to have pancakes with whatever they get to eat. My son is partial to chocolate chip pancakes or Pumpkin Pancakes depending on the time of year. And I am pretty sure if given the chance, he would eat pancakes every day for breakfast.
There is just something about homemade pancakes though. They are light and fluffy and a great start to a weekend for sure. I like to customize them by adding in chocolate chips for my son, topping them with fresh berries for my or real maple syrup for my husband. Even with something better for your like Protein Pancakes, you can still make them so everyone in your family will enjoy them.
Banana pancakes might be my new favorite way to use up those bananas on the counter. In the past it was Blueberry Banana Bread, but these pancakes just might take over. They take homemade pancakes to a whole new level. And turning them into chocolate chip cakes makes them even better.
One question I get asked a lot is how do you add chocolate chips to pancakes. I have 2 methods I use, and they both work well, it just depends on what you are doing.
- Mix in the chocolate chips with the flour and dry ingredients. This way they mixed evenly in your batter and don’t just sink to the bottom of your pancakes. I use this method if I am making a full batch of chocolate chip pancakes.
- After you pour the batter onto the hot griddle or skillet, sprinkle a few chocolate chips onto the pancake. This method is great if you just want a few pancakes with chocolate chips in them. The chocolate chips sit where you put them and tend to stay on the bottom of the pancake, but it still works well.
How to make Pancakes from Scratch
Pancakes are very simple to make. You start by mixing all of the dry ingredients together; the flour, baking powder, sugar etc. Then you just mix the wet ingredients; the egg, milk, mashed banana etc. Combine them together and you are pretty much done! You really don’t want to over mix them, so once everything is blended you want to start cooking. The baking powder starts to react with the liquid right away, so pancake batter is not something that you want to make ahead of time, or your pancakes will not turn out.
How to make Fluffy Pancakes
Over the years I have learned a few tricks to make the perfect light and fluffy pancakes. They are super simple, and anyone can do them, you just have to follow the rules.
- Mix the batter until just combined. Do not over mix or your pancakes will be tough and not fluffy.
- Buttermilk really does help make the best pancakes. You can use another type of milk if that is all you have, but pancakes are the time to grab that little container of buttermilk and it on hand. You can mix in 1 tsp of vinegar with your milk to have a homemade version of buttermilk.
- When you flip your pancakes don’t touch them! So many times when people flip pancakes they use the spatula to press down on the batter. Resist the urge. You will watch the pancake slightly puff up, and this is what you want! The air bubbles are forming and they help make the fluffiest pancakes!
- Cook on a high heat. Pancakes cook quickly, they are thin. So you don’t want a low heat or they will not get that golden brown color.
Homemade pancakes may be a few minutes extra work than the mix, but they are so worth it. The pancakes taste so much better and they come out light and fluffy every time. The next time you have bananas sitting on your counter, these banana pancakes are definitely the way to go!
How To Freeze Pancakes
I like to lay and leftover pancakes out on a baking sheet in a single layer. Then I put them in the freezer until they are frozen. After that take all the pancakes and put them in a freezer safe bag. Busy mornings you can just take out a couple pancakes and microwave them for a quick and easy breakfast! So much better than the frozen ones from the store!
More Great Breakfast Recipes
- Baked Oatmeal Cups
- Pancake Muffins
- Nutella Muffins
- Sausage Breakfast Sandwich
- Blueberry French Toast Bake
- Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake
- Nutella Donuts
- S’mores Pancakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbls sugar
- 1 Tbls brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 Tbls butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, both sugars, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Mix in chocolate chips. Set aside.
- In another bowl mix together mashed bananas, egg, milk, butter and vanilla until well blended and smooth.
- Add banana mixture to flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle to high heat, about 350 degrees. Spray with non-stick spray or coat with butter. Scoop about 1/4 cup of batter onto the hot surface. One bubbles form over the top of the pancake batter, flip. Cook for about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per ServingCalories 433Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 64mgSodium 719mgCarbohydrates 69gFiber 4gSugar 24gProtein 10g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!