Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cake – a tender and moist zucchini cake with lots of chocolate chips, and topped with a Nutella frosting.
School started here this week. We have made it a few days in, and so far so good. I think my 10 year old is missing the freedom of summer, but he is also happy to see his friends every day again. We had a great summer, with lots of fun activities. I really tried not to work a ton, and spend lots of time doing things that he enjoyed. So it is actually really nice to have time during the day to get stuff done again! I kind of forgot how much I can get done in a day without someone else around.
I still have lots of zucchini coming out of my garden. I gave the last one away, and I just saw I have 2 more out there! I am kind of running out of things I want to make with them. Last week I shared Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread, which is seriously so good! I have a loaf in my freezer I am trying to not break into. I have also made tons of muffins, my freezer is full! I might have to make this chocolate chip zucchini cake again though, it was a huge hit. I topped with Nutella frosting, and it was pure heaven. Amazingly enough, it wasn’t super sweet, just enough to cure those cravings!
In case you hadn’t noticed, I kind of have a thing for Nutella. I actually make this same Nutella frosting years ago when I made these Nutella Cupcakes. I have always wanted to make it again, and this zucchini cake seemed like the perfect pair. I mean, when isn’t Nutella the answer? The cake is dense but still super tender and moist, with just a hint of cinnamon. It is perfect if you have zucchini sitting around and aren’t sure what to do with it. Make this chocolate chip zucchini cake and impressive everyone.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup oil
- 3 cups zucchini , shredded
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter , softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 2 - 3 cups powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease a 13x9 inch baking pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, brown sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl mix together vanilla, eggs and oil. Add flour mixture and fold until mostly combined. Add zucchini (do not drain), and mix until fully incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- Meanwhile prepare the frosting. Mix together all of the ingredients until well blended. Beat until fluffy. Adjust the milk and sugar as necessary to get a spreadable consistency.
- Once the cake is completely cool frost.