Nutella Cupcakes – A rich and chocolate-y cupcake filled with Nutella and then topped with a delicious Nutella buttercream frosting. A chocolate lovers’ dream come true!
I first discovered Nutella in high school French class and it immediately became a huge favorite. And these Nutella cupcakes were one of the absolute first recipes I shared on the blog back in 2011.
After 10 years, I decided it was time they received some time in the spotlight and some much needed love and updating. To this day they are still one of my all time favorite desserts!
These start off with a super rich, dense, and chocolate-y homemade cupcake. The cupcake recipe is slightly adapted from Paula Deen’s Molten Lava Cake recipe. So it isn’t your average light and fluffy cake.
Although, you really could use whatever chocolate cake you like, including a box mix if you want a shortcut. But trust me, the dense almost fudgy cake really holds up to the Nutella buttercream and makes them extra special.
Chocolate Cupcake Ingredients
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate
- Dark Chocolate
- Powdered Sugar
- Egg Yolks
- Vanilla Extract
- All-Purpose Flour
And the best part about making the chocolate cupcakes? There is no mixer required! They are super simple to just mix together in a bowl and then scoop into the pan.
How To Make Chocolate Cupcakes
- Start by melting together the butter and chocolate until it is completely melted and smooth.
- Using a spatula add in the flour and powdered sugar and mix until it is well combined. It will be very thick, that is perfectly ok!
- Add the eggs, egg yolks, and vanilla extract and mix until smooth.
- Divide the batter equally among 12 lined muffin cups, and bake for 15-18 minutes until a tester comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and allow them to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan and letting them cool completely.
I love a good classic Chocolate Frosting, but when you add Nutella it takes it over the top and makes it amazing. If you are a fan of Nutella, trust me on this and just go for it!
- Powdered Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
And it comes together just like any frosting. Beat it together to get the desired spreadable consistency. You can adjust the milk and powdered sugar to thin it out or thicken it if necessary.
What Is Nutella
Nutella is a brand of chocolate hazelnut spread that is very common around the world. The American version is sweeter and more processed than other countries. It is the consistency of peanut butter it is just made with chocolate and hazelnuts.
There are other brands of this spread available on the market now, and you can easily swap them out or even use your own Homemade Nutella if you wanted.
How To Store Cupcakes
Store cupcakes in an air tight container for up to 3 days at room temperature. If you want to keep them a little longer, you can put them in the fridge for up to 5 days.
If you do keep them in the fridge, let them come to room temperature before serving.
More Delicious Nutella Dessert Recipes
- Nutella Crepes
- Nutella Ice Cream
- Nutella Skillet Cookie
- Nutella Brownies
- Flourless Nutella Cake
- Nutella Cinnamon Rolls
- Nutella Oreo Truffles
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 whole large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 3-4 cups powdered Sugar
- 1/3 cup Nutella
To make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with liners and set aside.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together. You can use a double broiler, or the microwave. Mix until it is nice and smooth.
- Add the flour and powdered sugar, and mix until well combined. It will be very thick.
- Stir in the eggs, egg yolks, and vanilla until smooth.
- Divide the batter into 12 lined muffin cups
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until a tester comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan to cool completely.
To make the frosting:
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl or stand mixer and beat until it is spreadable, smooth and creamy. Adjust the milk and powdered sugar as necessary to thin or thicken it.
- Once the cupcakes are cool, use a teaspoon to scoop out the center, reserve the cake pieces.
- Fill the with a little bit of Nutella and then trip the reserved cake pieces to be flat disks, and cover the Nutella.
- Pipe or spread the Nutella Buttercream Frosting over the cupcakes
Cupcakes adapted from Paula Deen
Serving Size12 Servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 351Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 133mgSodium 161mgCarbohydrates 40gFiber 1gSugar 32gProtein 5g
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!