Chocolate Zucchini Cake – a rich chocolate cake topped with chocolate frosting and loaded with plenty of zucchini. They will never know it is in there!
I love baking with zucchini. Zucchini recipes tend to be super tender, moist and delicious. Zucchini muffins tend to be one of our favorites when there is lots of zucchini to use up in the fall. They are always stashed in the freezer for easy breakfasts.
Often times people think of zucchini bread, but there is more than just bread and muffins to make! This chocolate zucchini cake is a must! It is so rich and chocolate-y, no one will ever guess there is zucchini mixed in.
You can use zucchini in both sweet and savory zucchini recipes. Zucchini Fritters are great for a side dish with a spicy and tangy dipping sauce. But when you are craving dessert, zucchini cake is the way to go! This chocolate chip zucchini cake topped with a Nutella frosting is another must try. Just depends if you want all chocolate or just a little.
Zucchini has a ton of liquid in it, so you want to follow the directions on a recipe to know if you need to squeeze out some of the moisture or not. But either way, zucchini always makes for super moist and tender baking. And this chocolate zucchini cake is no exception.
When I shared the Creamy Zucchini, Tomato, & Ricotta Pasta, I mentioned that I had a zucchini cake coming up. Well here it is! My garden is still going crazy. I think I have 3 zucchini still out there that I need to pick, and who knows how many more are growing. You can probably guess what I will be doing this weekend.
If you have picky or skeptic eaters in our house, you can peal the zucchini before grating it when you are baking. Then they will never spot any green flecks and have no idea you are giving them a zucchini cake. They will just think they are eating chocolate cake!
So when you have a ton of zucchini in the garden this year, or your neighbor asks if you want an of theirs, say yes!! This chocolate zucchini cake is a must make! A homemade chocolate cake is the best, and when you can add some veggies to it that is just a win. I wish that justified having a second piece!
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Chocolate Zucchini Cake - a rich chocolate cake topped with chocolate frosting and loaded with plenty of zucchini. They will never know it is in there!
- 1/2 cup butter , softened
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 cups zucchini , shredded and drained
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 Tbls butter , softened
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray or grease a 13x9 inch pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together butter, oil, sugar, vanilla, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until well combined and smooth. Add the eggs.
- Mix in yogurt and flour, alternating between the two. Mix in the cocoa powder until the batter is smooth.
- Fold in zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Pour into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- To prepare the frosting mix together all of the ingredients until smooth, and desired consistency. Add additional milk or sugar if necessary.
- Once the cake is cool; spread frosting over the cake.
Adapted from King's Arthur Flour