We have made it through the first week of school. So far the year is off to a good start, I think my 9 year old is going to love 4th grade. To celebrate the end of a great week, my son is having a friend sleep over tonight. I guess I better get prepared! A fun dinner and maybe ice cream sundaes need to happen. Or maybe that is just what girls do? Or maybe I am just old, and that is what I remember from being a kid? Either way, guess I better figure it out quickly!
Last week when I shared the Creamy Zucchini, Tomato, & Ricotta Pasta, I mentioned that I had a zucchini cake coming up. Well here it is! My garden is still going crazy. I think I have 3 zucchini still out there that I need to pick, and who knows how many more are growing. You can probably guess what I will be doing this weekend. We grew watermelon for the first time this year too, and there are about 7 watermelons growing out there as well. So we will be living on watermelons and zucchini for the foreseeable future. Anyone want to join us? 🙂
I have done a lot of zucchini recipes in the past. Breads and muffins are always a favorite, and chocolate goes amazingly well with zucchini. So this time, I decided to go all out and do a chocolate cake. I sent this zucchini chocolate cake to work with my husband, and his co-workers loved it! I did not tell anyone what was in it, and my husband said that no one could tell. The texture is super moist and a little denser than a box mix chocolate cake. I topped it with a quick chocolate frosting recipe, but store bought would be super easy and great as well. If you are looking for a way to use up your zucchini, this is it; the recipe uses 3 cups! But whatever the reason, this is a chocolate lovers dream!
- 1/2 cup butter , softened
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 cups zucchini , shredded and drained
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 Tbls butter , softened
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray or grease a 13x9 inch pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together butter, oil, sugar, vanilla, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until well combined and smooth. Add the eggs.
- Mix in yogurt and flour, alternating between the two. Mix in the cocoa powder until the batter is smooth.
- Fold in zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Pour into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- To prepare the frosting mix together all of the ingredients until smooth, and desired consistency. Add additional milk or sugar if necessary.
- Once the cake is cool; spread frosting over the cake.