Double Chocolate Cupcakes – The most tender and moist chocolate cupcakes topped with a rich chocolate frosting. A rich and decadent treat for the chocolate lover in your life!
I am a sucker for chocolate. I could eat Peanut Butter Stuffed Brownies pretty much every day. When I think of dessert, chocolate is definitely what comes to mind. My husband on the other hand is kind of crazy and doesn’t like chocolate.
His favorite dessert just might be Cream Puffs. Don’t get me wrong, I love a creamy vanilla dessert, but chocolate still has my heart.
Click HERE to get the full recipe
These homemade chocolate cupcakes are super moist and so tender. You will never go back to a box mix again! This recipe works as a layer cake, a sheet cake or as cupcakes. You will need to adjust the baking time, but it will bake up perfectly in any pan. Just insert a toothpick until it comes out clean and then you know it’s done.
The best thing about making these chocolate cupcakes is you don’t need an electric mixer! You mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl and the liquids together in a separate bowl, and then slowly mix them together. Could not be simpler!
Tips and Tricks for Making Chocolate Cupcakes
- You need to use the buttermilk that is called for in the recipe. The way it interacts with the other ingredients is part of the reason why they are so moist and tender. But don’t worry, you can make your own if you don’t have any. Just add 1 1/2 tsp vinegar to the 1/2 cup of milk and let it stand for 5 minutes before using.
- Use hot water, but not boiling water. You do not want the water to cook the eggs.
- Be careful not to over fill your muffin tins. Just about 2/3rd of the way is perfect. If you fill them too much they will tend to sink in the middle and the edges will be crispy.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting. These are frosted with a rich chocolate frosting, but you can use whatever your favorite is. Just make sure the cupcakes are 100% cool or the frosting will melt off.
When I was growing up cake was almost always from a box. This Chocolate Cream Cake was my favorite and I requested it every year on my birthday. And this chocolate cupcake from scratch recipe is the perfect base to make that cake today.
So stop buying the box mix, and try this homemade recipe. Trust me, it is way easier than you think to make, and they are so good! We even did a taste test in my family and these were hands down the winner by all 9 people involved.
Craving More Chocolate
- Flourless Chocolate Cake – so rich and fudgy
- Homemade Brownies – my favorite brownie recipe I have been making since I was a kid
- Chocolate Mousse Brownies – fudgy brownies topped with chocolate mousse
- French Hot Chocolate – the most rich and decadent hot chocolate you will ever have.
- Chocolate Lava Cakes for Two – the perfect warm and gooey cake for 2!
- Triple Chocolate Brownie Skillet – a decadent treat with 3 kinds of chocolate!
I am sharing this recipe over at Imperial Sugar today. Click on Double Chocolate Cupcakes to get the FULL recipe!
**I have an ongoing relationship with Imperial Sugar for recipe development. I was compensated for my time to create this recipe. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.