French Hot Chocolate – thick, rich, and utterly delicious! Just like Angelina’s Hot Chocolate in Paris.
Have you ever heard of French hot chocolate? They are known for their hot chocolate being different than we know in the United States. There are no packets of stuff to mix with water, it is an entire experience in itself. Don’t get me wrong I am never going to turn down a Kahlua Hot Chocolate, but this is something else.
Angelina’s in Paris is known as one of the premier spots to get this drinking chocolate. And drinking chocolate is a more accurate description. It is so thick and rich, it really seems like you are just drinking melted chocolate.
What is French Hot Chocolate
It is a super thick and decadent hot chocolate. It is made with dark chocolate and often times heavy cream or whole milk and served with fresh whipped cream. You may hear it called Parisian Hot Chocolate or in France you will see Chocolat Chaud. This is truly a chocolate lovers dream come true.
Often times when you see a homemade hot chocolate recipe it will call for milk, chocolate, and sugar. Now this recipe isn’t all that different. But it is the ratios that make it something extra special. There is so much more chocolate in this drinking chocolate than there is in traditional hot chocolate from the States. You just have to try it to understand.
How to Make Hot Chocolate
This uses the same process that you already know, there is nothing difficult about it. It really is just simmer milk or heavy cream on the stove and then melt in the chocolate. I used powdered sugar in this, because I wanted to make sure it was super creamy.
Tips for Making French Hot Chocolate
- Use the best quality chocolate you can find. The chocolate is the thing that stands out in this recipe. You want to use at least a 70% dark chocolate. Skip the chocolate chips in this, they have additives in them, and will not melt and be nearly as creamy as a bar.
- Heavy Cream vs Whole Milk. I used mostly whole milk in mine, because heavy cream was just a bit too much. But if you want to go for it, by all means, go for it! In our taste test the whole milk was exactly as we remembered our hot chocolate being in Paris.
- Heat the milk slowly. You would not want to scald your milk or heat it too quickly. So just be patient as you get it warm. Trust me, you will love the end results!
If you have a trip to Paris in your future, head over to Angelina’s and try the real stuff! But if you aren’t, you can still make this at home. And you can feel like you are sitting at a table at a cafe in Paris. Traditionally it is served with a bowl of fresh whipped cream on the side that you can just scoop into your cup.
As the whipped cream slowly melts, you get the most delicious hot chocolate you have ever tasted. This is nothing like you have ever tasted before, and it will be hard to go back. Be sure to check out my Where to Eat in Paris if you are looking for tips on where to go when you are there! I also made Homemade Croissants from our trip, so go look at those too!
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 8 oz dark chocolate (at least 70% dark chocolate)
- Fresh Whipped Cream
- In a sauce pan bring milk, heavy cream and powdered sugar to a simmer over medium heat. Be careful not to boil.
- Whisk in chocolate until melted.
- Pour into mugs and serve with fresh whipped cream.
If you want thicker hot chcoolate whisk in more chocolate
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per ServingCalories 699 Total Fat 44g Saturated Fat 26g Trans Fat 1g Unsaturated Fat 14g Cholesterol 69mg Sodium 99mg Carbohydrates 67g Fiber 5g Sugar 58g Protein 10g