Today is National S’mores Day!! I actually knew about this food holiday ahead of time, and had time to make something for you. That usually isn’t the case.
Recently I was sent the new cookbook Sinfully Easy Delicious Desserts; Quicker Smarter Recipes by Alice Medrich. You may have heard of Alice before. She has won more cookbook-of-the-year and best-in-baking-category awards than any other author. This is her 8th cookbook. Let me tell you, the woman is not known as the “first lady of chocolate” for no reason. From start to finish this book is filled with beautiful, mouthwatering pictures. Recipes that range from chocolate sauce to blueberry tarts, dessert chutney to pound cake. There are lots of tips and tricks in there for the novice and experienced baker as well. I honestly can not stop paging through this book picking out what I would like to make.
I finally decided on her Bittersweet Brownie Drops, but I also wanted to do something with S’mores to celebrate National S’mores Day. So I did what anyone would do, I combined the two! I simply replaced the 1 cup of nuts called for in the recipe with graham cracker pieces, and added some marshmallows. I sent these to work with my husband, because they had to get out of the house before I ate them all!
These cookies are heaven for a chocolate lover. They are rich, soft, gooey, and just perfect! They really are a brownie in cookie form. Even the batter felt and looked just like brownie batter. The higher quality chocolate you use here, really makes a difference. So if you have some of the good stuff you are saving, this is the recipe to break it out for!
- 4 Tbls butter , cut into cubes
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate (70%), coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tbls flour
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup graham crackers pieces (roughly break apart crackers into the size of chocolate chips)
- 1 cup marshmallows
- 1 cup chocolate chips or 6 oz coarsely chopped chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large heatproof bowl, melt the chocolate and butter together over a pan of simmering water (double boiler). Stir frequently until it is melted and smooth.
- In a small bowl combine the flour and baking soda.
- Once the chocolate is melted, remove from the stove. Add in sugar, vanilla, and salt. Stir until well combined. Add eggs 1 at a time, stirring until incorporated. Using a spatula stir in the flour mixture. Beat well, until the batter comes together and pulls away from the sides. Add in graham crackers, chocolate chips and 2/3 cup of marshmallows. Fold until fully combined. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Scoop rounded tablespoonfuls of dough onto a lined cookie sheet. Press 2 or 3 marshmallows into the top of each cookie. Bake for 10-12 minutes. The cookies will be puffed and starting to crack on the top. Do not over bake them. Allow to cool slightly before removing to a wire rack.
Adapted from Sinfully Easy Delicious Desserts
** I was sent a copy of this cookbook. All opinions are 100% my own. This post does include affiliate links.