It is starting to cool down in the evenings here. Perfect weather for a comforting bowl of soup! I am excited for soup weather this year, I have so many that I want to make. This is one that my husband sent to me, probably a year ago. So it was time that I did him a favor and made it.
It is basically chicken and rice soup, but with lots of ginger. Because this is such a basic soup, you could take the opportunity to add any veggies your family likes. Carrots, celery, bell peppers, peas… you name it, it would work. I took the easy way this time, and just topped the bowls with thinly sliced red bell peppers and green onions.
The ginger is just soothing in this soup. I don’t know of another way to describe it. I took a bite, and it was just comforting, and warm, and soothing. I currently have 8 single serving containers of this in my freezer. I love to stock my freezer with soup for quick dinners, or lunches all winter. Serve with a little bread, and I am in heaven!
- 1 cup uncooked rice , cooked according to the package directions
- 1 pound chicken breasts , cooked and shredded
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups veggies (bell peppers, carrots, green onions, celery, peas etc.)
- 1 to 2 inches ginger , grated
- Green onions , sliced for garnish
- In a large stock pot saute veggies, until crisp tender (about 5 minutes). Add the chicken stock, and grate in the ginger. Heat until simmering. Add the chicken, and the cooked rice. Heat until everything is hot.
- Serve garnished with green onions.