Avgolemono Soup – a classic Greek soup that is light, delicious and the perfect way to warm up on a cold day. A lemon chicken and rice soup you are going to love!
On a cold day I really crave a warm bowl of soup, doesn’t really matter what kind, just something that will completely warm you up! Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup is one of the most requested in this house. But this Chicken and Rice Soup totally takes me back to childhood, and I love it!
I will be the first to admit I loved a condensed soup as a kid. Chicken noodle and Chicken & Rice were my 2 favorites. This is so much better than the canned version, plus it has the perfect amount of lemon to really elevate the flavor.
What You’ll Need
- Olive Oil
- Chicken Broth
- Long Grain White Rice
- Lemon Juice
- Salt & Pepper
- Shredded Chicken
What is Avgolemono Soup?
It is a Greek chicken and rice soup that is believed to cure anything! It is often called the Greek Penicillin, because they believe it has such healing powers. The broth is velvety and smooth thanks to the egg in there. It is creamy and tart with the lemon juice.
You can make this with either orzo or rice, both works well. Just trust me and take a walk on the Greek side! This Greek Avgolemono soup will change your mind about chicken soup.
How To Make Avgolemono Soup
- Heat the olive oil in a stock pot over a medium high heat. Once the oil is warm, add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes until it starts to soften. Add the garlic and cook for another minute, until you can start to smell it.
- Add in the chicken stock, and bring to soup to a boil.
- Stir in the rice, reduce the heat, and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk together the lemon juice, cornstarch, salt, pepper and egg. Slowly pour egg mixture into broth, stirring constantly.
- Add chicken to the soup and cook until it thickens and rice is tender, about 3 minutes.
- Top each bowl with parsley to serve.
What To Serve With Avgolemono Soup
- Use fresh lemons. Nothing beats a fresh squeezed lemon, and you only need about 1 here, if it is not very juicy, you might need 2. But it isn’t much work for much better and brighter flavor.
- Rotisserie chicken is super easy to have on hand and use in this soup. I love to pick up an extra rotisserie chicken at the store, shred it, and then freeze in about 2 cup portions, so I can just take it out and add to soups or pasta for quick dinners.
- Be sure to really stir the soup as you are pouring in the egg mixture. Obviously you need the egg to cook, but you want it to be in a nice stream, not just a clump of scrambled eggs in the middle of your soup.
- You can use brown rice here if you want, your cooking time will just increase. Make sure the rice is almost cooked before stirring in the lemon juice mixture and adding your chicken.
- Orzo is another common substitute for rice. You can usually reduce the cooking time a little when using orzo, as it cooks much quicker than rice.
More Comforting Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot Pozole
- White Chicken Chili
- Clam Chowder
- Turkey Noodle Soup
- Minestrone Soup
- Wonton Soup
- Beef Barley Soup
- Potato Corn Chowder
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Avgolemono Soup - a classic Greek soup that is light, delicious and the perfect way to warm up on a cold day. A lemon chicken and rice soup you are going to love!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup Onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 whole large egg
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a large pot. Add onion and sauté for about 5 minutes, until it starts to soften. Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute, until you can just start to smell it.
- Pour in the chicken broth and bring to boil. Stir in rice, reduce heat, and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk together lemon juice, cornstarch, salt, pepper and egg. Slowly pour egg mixture into broth, while stirring constantly.
- Add chicken to the soup. Cook until it the soup thickens, the rice is tender, and the chicken is warmed through; about 3 minutes.
- Top each bowl with parsley to serve.
Recipe from Cooking Light
Amount Per Serving Calories 263Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 97mgSodium 456mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 27g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Did you know there is a Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts SHOP? Check out all of my E-books as well as branded merchandise HERE! Or you can buy me a coffee to say thanks!
- Homemade Ravioli - March 22, 2023
- Chocolate Pizza - March 20, 2023
- Chicken Taco Soup - March 17, 2023
Signup for all the new recipes to be sent to your inbox on Saturday morning!
I love to try new dishes. I am so curious to try this soup! Love all the ingredients!