There are certain flavors that I associate with the Christmas season; anything mint or peppermint, eggnog, and toffee, to name a few. Toffee is one of my favorite things. I have made it a few times before, and maybe someday I will take pictures and share it with you. But in the mean time, you will have to live with toffee baked goods, like these and Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Today I am joining some other bloggers in the 1st Annual Blogging Buddies Virtual Cookie Exchange. This is a fun group of ladies, and we are all doing a cookie exchange today. Since we can’t do it in person, we are sharing it virtually with you! Check out what everyone brought!
- Erin from The Law Student’s Wife made Ginger Molasses Maple Cream Sandwich Cookies
- Jess from Portuguese Girl Cooks made Turtle Thumprint Cookies
- Ashley from Baker By Nature made Granola and Graham Cracker Cookies with Chocolate Chips
- Joan from Chocolate Chocolate and More made Grandma’s Sugar Cookies
I made these bars years ago as part of a cookie exchange, but kind of forgot about them. A friend reminded me of them this year, so I got out the recipe and went to work. My 7 year old and husband loved these. Usually, my husband can stay away from desserts and has amazing will power, but not these. I brought these to a cookie exchange I did on Sunday night. Both my guys said that when I went around the table to pick out cookies at the exchange, I should just pick my own cookies each time.
Trust me, this will be perfect for your holiday tray. Santa might even leave you a few extra presents if you have these out for him 🙂 Plus they are super easy to throw together. Minimal ingredients, quick baking time, and dump candy on top. Can’t get much better than that.
Shortbread like bars with toffee bars
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sguar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup Heath Toffee Chips
- 3 Heath Toffee Bars, crushed
- 1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped (optional, I did not use)
- Preheat overn to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer cream the butter well. Blend in brown sugar, egg yolk and vanilla. Slowly add in the flour, and mix until just combined. Fold in the 1 cup of Toffee Chips and pecans if using. Press dough into an ungreased 15x10 inch jelly-roll pan.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven, and immediately sprinkle with the crushed Heath Bars. Cool for 10 minutes - slice into bars. You can remove from pan to cool, or leave in the pan. But you want to cute while still warm, or they are very hard to cut through.
Adapted from Grandma's Favorite Cookies