Chewy Molasses Cookies – Perfectly spiced, tender and chewy molasses cookie recipe that are perfect for any holiday baking tray!
Christmas cookies are all about classics. You have Frosted Sugar Cookies that are a must and need to be made every year. Then you also have some that you mix it up with and try new ones. I love going to cookie exchanges so I can try things like White Chocolate Coconut Truffles.
These Molasses cookies are one that I added to the mix one year, and they quickly became a favorite. They are so soft and chewy and full of great flavor. They are what you think of when you think of winter and cookies.
My husband grew up having Gingersnaps and Gingerbread Men cookies at his house, but we didn’t usually have those at mine. So the first time I made these I was super excited to see what they would be like. And they are delicious. Plus I am just a sucker for soft and chewy cookies of any kind.
I love having a variety of cookies and candies on my holiday dessert tray. White Chocolate Fudge is festive and fun to display along side of these great soft molasses cookies. And I love just how easy these cookies are to make!
I am so excited about these cookies. I sent them to 3 other bloggers as part of the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap, and they received rave reviews! I kept a few at home, and they were so chewy and good. They are full of some great fall spices, and the flavor comes through so well. I am normally a full on chocolate girl, if you have visited here at all, you know that about me.
But sometimes you just have to switch it up, and these chewy molasses cookies are the way to do it! If you are looking for another cookie to add to your holiday baking list, these need to be it! The molasses cookie recipe only makes about 20 cookies, but you can double it very easily. I went that route, and I suggest you do as well 🙂
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 Tbls butter, , softened
- 8 Tbls sugar, , divided
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- In a bowl whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger, cloves, baking powder and salt until well combined. Set aside
- In the bowl of an electric mixer beat together butter 5 Tbls of sugar, and brown sugar for 3 minutes, until fluffy. Add the egg, and beat for 30 seconds. Mix in molasses. Slowly add flour mixture, until everything is just combined.
- Cover the dough and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Scoop balls of dough about 1 1/2 inches in size. Roll each ball of dough in the remaining 3 Tbls of sugar.
- Place on a lined baking sheet, and bake for 12 minutes, or until the cookies are just set.
- Remove from the oven and let cook for a few minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe from Cooking Light
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per ServingCalories 102Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 18mgSodium 100mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 0gSugar 7gProtein 1g