I am happy to be back with #SundaySupper this week. This is only my second time joining them, but it is such a supportive and great group to be a part of. Today we are celebrating the 4th of July. Seriously, check out all the amazing recipes at the end of this post. I am really not sure how to pick what I am going to make on the 4th, there are just too many delicious options!
I am completely obsessed with avocado. I put it on sandwiches, in salads, in pasta salads, eat it plain….you get the point. I just realized that the last #SundaySupper post had avocado too 🙂 Anyway, when I saw this recipe for a quinoa with an avocado dressing I was one happy girl. I have been trying so many different quinoa recipes lately, this just seemed like the perfect one to try next.
You could really change this up and put in whatever veggies you like. I stuck with the more “Mexican” style veggies, if there is such a thing. But really, anything you have on hand or is your favorite would work. The avocado dressing is what really stands out in this to me. It is so creamy, and buttery it just works well with the quinoa. And a bonus of this salad? It is great warm or cold. Perfect for your 4th of July picnic or barbeque!
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 1 1/4 cups Chicken Broth (or however much liquid your Quinoa calls for)
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn , thawed
- 1 small zucchini , sauted
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 3 green onions , chopped
- 1/4 fresh cilantro , chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 jalapeno , seeded and minced
- 1 avocado , pitted
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro , chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 tbls red wine vinegar
- 1 lime , juiced
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbls olive oil
Bring the chicken broth to a boil, and cook quinoa as directed on package.
In a large bowl combine all the veggies and seasonings for the salad. In a food processor, pulse together everything for the dressing, but the olive oil. You might need to scrape down the sides a couple times. Once smooth, slowly stream in the olive oil.
Combine the cooked quinoa with the veggies, and then stir in the avocado dressing. Stir until well coated.
Can be served warm or cold.
Be sure to check out the other amazing dishes from the #SundaySupper team!
- Tender & Sweet Crockpot Brisket Juanita’s Cocina
- Savory Patriotic Chicken Kabobs Big Bear’s Wife
- Firecracker Salmon Rolls Comfy Cuisine
- Red, White & Blue Grilled Pizza Momma’s Meals
- Baby Back Ribs with Balsamic Peach BBQ Sauce Damn Delicious
- Bubblin’ Brown Sugar Baby Back Ribs In The Kitchen With KP
- Buttermilk Oven Fried Chicken The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Grilled Hawaiian Teriyaki Beef Mrs. Mama Hen
- Cantaloupe and Prosciutto Salad with Perfectly Grilled Chicken and Potatoes Daddy Knows Less
- Texas Smoked Brisket Doggie At The Dinner Table
- Grilled Chicken in a Blueberry BBQ Sauce Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Juicy Lucy and Blueberry Ketchup Pipi’s in the Kitchen
- Chicken Burgers with Curried Cabbage Slaw-Indian Soni’s Food for Thought
- Finger Foods for the Fourth Pescetarian Journal
- Grilled Pork Satays with Peanut Sauce Tora’s Real Food
Salads and Sides:
- Southwestern Corn and Black Bean Salad Supper for a Steal
- Roasted/Grilled Asparagus with Parmesan Katherine Martinelli
- Patriotic Ranch Potato Salad The Meltaways
- Roasted Red Pepper & White Bean Salad Are you hungry
- Texas-Creole Crawfish Potato Salad The Weekend gourmet
- Spicy Italian Peppers in Sauce What Smells so Good?
- Sangria Fruit Salad Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Stuffed Black Olive Cookistry
- Mexican Quinoa Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing Dinners Dishes and Desserts
- Low Fat Pasta Salad Basic and Delicious
- Bean Salad with Pickled Vegetables Diabetic Foodie
- Fourth Sticks In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Tomato and Mozzarella Appetizer Family Foodie
- Red White & Blueberry Ricotta Cupcakes Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Red Velvet Brownies Magnolia Days
- S’mores Pastries Daily Dish Recipes
- Red, White and Blue Firecracker Cupcakes Chocolate Moosey
- Caramel-filled Vanilla Cupcakes with Vanilla Bean Buttercream The Messy Baker
- Strawberry and Cream Cake Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- White Chocolate Berry Tart Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Red White and Blue Coconut Rum Cake Family Spice
- Individual Red White and Blue Triffles Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Mini Carrot Cakes Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Plum and Apple Pies Cositas Bonitas
Join us this week! We’ll share these fabulous recipes and want you to share yours with us! The fun starts at 3pm EST and lasts all afternoon. At 5:30 pm EST, we will be available to chat with you. All you have to do is follow the hashtag #sundaysupper on twitter or follow along on TweetChat. Our #SundaySupper Pinterest Board will be filled with fabulous family recipes. There is always room Around the Family Table for you.