Balsamic Pasta with Chicken Sausage & Veggies – Pasta with sauteed veggies and chicken sausage tossed with a balsamic vinaigrette. Quick and easy weeknight meal, that is also good for you.
Photos and some text updated 8/1/16
Do you ever see recipes, and immediately make them? Sometimes I come across a recipe that is so perfect, I have to make it right away. This was one of those. Cassie made a version of this pasta, and I knew we would love it. My husband loves just about anything with balsamic vinegar, and I couldn’t believe I hadn’t thought about doing this yet.
My husband isn’t all about lots of veggies and no meat, so I had to switch it up a little. I used some spinach & artichoke chicken sausage I had in the freezer, and just a few veggies. This balsamic pasta is a huge hit at my house. Balsamic vinaigrette is one of my favorite dressings, so adding it to pasta was only natural. The chicken sausage makes it a heartier meal, but still good for you. A great use for the zucchini that is going crazy this time of year.
I first made this recipe almost 4 years ago, and it is still on regular rotation at our house. My son and husband both request it often. I like to use zucchini and red onion, but you could switch up the veggies to just about anything you have on hand, or what is in season at the time. Bell peppers and mushrooms would be great. Leave out the meat, and this would be a great cold pasta salad. I served with a little grated Parmesan cheese, but Cassie used goat cheese. So feel free to switch it up! My husband loves when I make a big batch of this balsamic pasta, because the leftovers are great for lunch the next day.
- 1 package short cut pasta, , cooked according to the directions
- 4 Tbls balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbls olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic, , grated
- 3 links chicken sausage, , sliced
- 1 1/2 cups sauteed veggies, (zucchini, onion, etc.)
- Parmesan Cheese, , optional garnish.
- In a large serving bowl combine the vinegar, oil, salt, pepper, garlic and oregano. Whisk to combine. In a large skillet saute the chicken sausage and the veggies together, until crisp tender, and the sausage is heated through, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper as necessary.
- Add the cooked and drained pasta to the serving bowl with the vinaigrette at the bottom. Top with the veggies. Stir to combine, and make sure everything is evenly coated. Serve with Parmesan cheese if desired.
Adapted from Bake Your Day
Amount Per Serving Calories 354Saturated Fat 2gCholesterol 30mgSodium 636mgCarbohydrates 47gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 14g
Want more summer dinner recipes?