Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies – take your cookies to a whole new level with brown butter! Brown butters add a rich and almost nutty flavor to make them extra special.
Have you ever used brown butter before? It is super simple to make (recipe is in the recipe card below), and takes pretty much any dish to a whole new level!
You can use brown butter in place of traditional butter in pretty much any recipe. So like these chocolate chip cookies, or drizzling over vegetables or pasta or even in things like pancakes and waffles. Seriously the stuff is amazing, and once you try it your life will be changed forever!
So let’s start at the beginning…..
What Is Brown Butter
It is really just a technique that you do with the butter that completely changes the flavor. You melt the butter and when it is just past melting the milk fats start to separate. As you gently heat the butter it develops this nuttiness that is just amazing.
I think the key to the best brown butter is to use good quality butter. I like to always use unsalted butter in my baking, so I control the amount of salt that is added. Some butters have more salt than others, so this is an easy way to make sure you end up with the results you want.
How To Make Brown Butter
This process is very simple, your nose will tell you it is done about the same time you will see the color change.
- Cut the butter into pieces, this helps so it melts more evenly.
- Place in a skillet or pot over medium heat. If you have one that has a light colored bottom (stainless or white) that is best so that you can see the color change easily.
- Heat over medium heat, using a whisk to stir until everything is melted.
- Then just let it continue to cook. It will start to foam and splatter a little as the milk solids separate.
- You will know it is done when it gets a nutty aroma and turns about the color of graham crackers.
- Remove from the heat and pour into a separate bowl to let it cool completely.
How To Make Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card to get the measurements and full instructions!
- Once you make the brown butter you need to let it cool completely then cream it together with white sugar and brown sugar like you normally would to make cookies.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix until everything is well combined.
- Add in the flour, baking soda and salt and mix until the flour is just mixed in.
- Fold in the chocolate chips. And then let the dough chill for about 30 minutes before baking.
- Scoop balls of dough onto a baking sheet and the decorate with M&M’s if desired. Bake for about 10 minutes until the edges are golden.
- Remove from the oven and let them sit on the baking sheet for at least 5 minutes to finish cooking before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
These brown butter cookies are great to make ahead. You need the butter to cool completely after you cooked it, so you can do that the day ahead. And even make the dough and let it chill overnight before baking.
You can absolutely freeze these cookies after they are baked. Or you can freeze the dough as well. I like to scoop balls of dough onto a baking sheet and place it in the freezer until they are frozen. Then put them in a freezer safe plastic bag until I am ready to bake them. It is perfect to just take out a couple for you and your Valentine, or bake a dozen for the whole family.
More Great Cookie Recipes
- Air Fryer Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Soft Monster Cookies
- Red Velvet M&M Cookies
- Andes Mint Cake Mix Cookies
- Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 whole large eggs
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (12 oz) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup M&M's (optional)
- Cut butter into cubes. Add to a skillet and heat over medium heat, whisk frequently to help melt the butter.
- Let the butter cook for a few minutes, it will foam up on the top and little brown flecks will form on the bottom. Once it smells nutty and is the color of graham crackers remove from heat and pour into a separate bowl to cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a stand mixer cream together cooled brown butter, sugar and brown sugar together until well combined.
- Add vanilla and 2 eggs. Mix until everything is incorporated.
- Stir in flour, salt, and baking soda until everything is just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Scoop golf ball size balls of dough onto a baking sheet. Top each ball of dough with a few M&M's if using them.
- Bake for 10 minutes until golden brown on the edges. Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Amount Per Serving Calories 135Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 25mgSodium 148mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 0gSugar 11gProtein 1g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!