This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Safeway. All opinions are 100% mine.
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies – take your cookies to a whole new level with brown butter! Brown butters add a rich and almost nutty flavor to make them extra special.
Have you ever used brown butter before? It is super simple to make (recipe is in the recipe card below), and takes pretty much any dish to a whole new level!
You can use brown butter in place of traditional butter in pretty much any recipe. So like these chocolate chip cookies, or drizzling over vegetables or pasta or even in things like pancakes and waffles. Seriously the stuff is amazing, and once you try it your life will be changed forever!
So let’s start at the beginning…..
What Is Brown Butter
It is really just a technique that you do with the butter that completely changes the flavor. You melt the butter and when it is just past melting the milk fats start to separate. As you gently heat the butter it develops this nuttiness that is just amazing.
I think the key to the best brown butter is to use good quality butter. I used O Organics® Unsalted Butter from Safeway for this recipe and it was absolutely perfect!
How To Make Brown Butter
This process is very simple, your nose will tell you it is done about the same time you will see the color change.
- Cut the butter into pieces, this helps so it melts more evenly.
- Place in a skillet or pot over medium heat. If you have one that has a light colored bottom (stainless or white) that is best so that you can see the color change easily.
- Heat over medium heat, using a whisk to stir until everything is melted.
- Then just let it continue to cook. It will start to foam and splatter a little as the milk solids separate.
- You will know it is done when it gets a nutty aroma and turns about the color of graham crackers.
- Remove from the heat and pour into a separate bowl to let it cool completely.
This year is kind of a strange year for Valentine’s Day. We have spent pretty much the last 11 months with our families almost exclusively, and now we get to celebrate being together! But there are ways to still make it special and fun. And these Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies that you can decorate with red and pink M&M’s are definitely one.
I found debi lilly design™ red roses at Safeway, and they are perfect to brighten up my kitchen as well as celebrate. I absolutely love that Safeway has such a great floral department right inside the store, it is literally perfect for one stop shopping! You can pick up flowers, pretty aromatherapy candles, and all sorts of vases to make the perfect arrangement and gift for your loved one. How cute is the Illusion Collection Vase I picked up?!
Plus you can get everything you need to make cookies while you are there. Flowers are such a great way to bring joy, make us smile, and elevate endorphins, Flowers also help us express our feelings of love, celebration, and “thinking of you” gestures- – all of which we need now more than ever.
Whether you are looking to show love to your family or friends, are looking to make your home festive and lovely for Valentine’s Day, or simply want to treat yourself, Safeway’s exclusive debi lilly design™ brand has high-quality, high-style pieces all at a value in the floral department. When you are trying to create special moments with family and friends this Valentine’s day, remember you can find great products you are proud to enjoy and share with your family and friends in-store or online at Safeway.
How To Make Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Once you make the brown butter you need to let it cool completely then cream it together with white sugar and brown sugar like you normally would to make cookies.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix until everything is well combined.
- Add in the flour, baking soda and salt and mix until the flour is just mixed in.
- Fold in the chocolate chips. And then let the dough chill for about 30 minutes before baking.
- Scoop balls of dough onto a baking sheet and the decorate with M&M’s if desired. Bake for about 10 minutes until the edges are golden.
- Remove from the oven and let them sit on the baking sheet for at least 5 minutes to finish cooking before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
These brown butter cookies are great to make ahead. You need the butter to cool completely after you cooked it, so you can do that the day ahead. And even make the dough and let it chill overnight before baking.
You can absolutely freeze these cookies after they are baked. Or you can freeze the dough as well. I like to scoop balls of dough onto a baking sheet and place it in the freezer until they are frozen. Then put them in a freezer safe plastic bag until I am ready to bake them. It is perfect to just take out a couple for you and your Valentine, or bake a dozen for the whole family.
I shopped at Safeway, but you can also find everything you need at Albertsons Companies family of stores, including Albertsons, Safeway, ACME Markets, Jewel-Osco, Randalls, Shaw’s Supermarket, Star Market, Tom Thumb and Vons.
Safeway also offers Grocery Delivery and DriveUp & Go™ for convenient ways to shop!
More Great Cookie Recipes
- Air Fryer Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Soft Monster Cookies
- Red Velvet M&M Cookies
- Andes Mint Cake Mix Cookies
- Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 (12 oz) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup M&M's (optional)
- Cut butter into cubes. Add to a skillet and heat over medium heat, whisk frequently to help melt the butter.
- Let the butter cook for a few minutes, it will foam up on the top and little brown flecks will form on the bottom. Once it smells nutty and is the color of graham crackers remove from heat and pour into a separate bowl to cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a stand mixer cream together cooled brown butter, sugar and brown sugar together until well combined.
- Add vanilla and 2 eggs. Mix until everything is incorporated.
- Stir in flour, salt, and baking soda until everything is just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Scoop golf ball size balls of dough onto a baking sheet. Top each ball of dough with a few M&M's if using them.
- Bake for 10 minutes until golden brown on the edges. Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Amount Per Serving Calories 135Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 25mgSodium 148mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 0gSugar 11gProtein 1g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!