With tender peppers and onions, juicy sausage, and a rich tomato sauce, this crock pot sausage and peppers recipe is a classic comfort food. It’s so easy to make in the slow cooker, packed with Italian flavors, and super healthy.
Sausage, peppers, and onions is an iconic Italian-American food. There’s something so soothing about the hearty flavors in this classic dish. The meat is savory and juicy, the onions and bell peppers are sweet and cooked to the perfect tenderness, and the garlic and marinara sauce is irresistible. This crock pot sausage and peppers recipe has quickly become my go-to when I’m craving this filling and healthy dinner.
Cooking sausage and peppers in the slow cooker ensures that all the ingredients are tender, moist, and not overcooked. It also increases the intensity of the flavors and makes this dinner so easy to make. You’ve got to give it a try.
Why You’ll Love This Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers Recipe
I make this hearty comfort food all the time. Here’s why you need to try this crock pot sausage and peppers recipe.
- Easy. Recipes don’t get much easier than this slow cooker sausage, peppers, and onions. All you have to do is put the ingredients in the slow cooker and turn it on. That’s it!
- Healthy. Sausage and peppers might taste like a treat, but it’s actually a very healthy food. I use chicken sausage when I make this recipe, so the dinner is just lean meat, vegetables, and tomato sauce. That’s pretty darn healthy.
- Versatile. One of the best things about Italian sausage and peppers is that you can eat it in so many different ways. You can serve this recipe as an entree or as a side dish. I like to add melty mozzarella cheese, and then use the crock pot sausage and peppers in a sandwich. You can also put this slow cooker recipe in a pasta dish, in a wrap, or even in an omelet.
- Large batch. The recipe I’m giving you is for 4 people, but you can easily double or triple it. Because the sausage and peppers are cooked in a crock pot, you don’t need to adjust the recipe or the timing if you scale it up. You can make as much of this recipe as will fit in your slow cooker.
You only need 6 ingredients to make this hearty and healthy classic comfort food. Make sure to check out the recipe card at the bottom of the page to see the exact amounts for each of the ingredients.
- Sausage links – I use Italian chicken sausage.
- Yellow bell pepper
- Red bell pepper
- Onion – A yellow onion is best for this recipe, but a red or white onion will also work.
- Marinara sauce
- Shredded mozzarella cheese – This is an optional ingredient.
How to Make Crock Pot Sausage and Peppers
Here’s how to make this super easy sausage, onions, and peppers dinner. You’ll be shocked at how simple this recipe is!
- Cut the veggies. Thinly slice the bell peppers and onion, then place in the slow cooker.
- Add the seasonings. Put minced garlic in the crock pot, then pour the marinara sauce over the top. Stir to combine.
- Put the sausage in. Add the Italian sausages on top of the pepper and sauce mixture.
- Cook. Put a lid on the crock pot and cook on low for 3-4 hours, then serve.
- Add optional cheese. If you want to add melted cheese, sprinkle the mozzarella over the top of the recipe when it’s done cooking. Put the lid back on, and let the cheese melt for 5 minutes.
Tips, Tricks, and Variations
These are a few tricks and variations that you can use when making crock pot sausage and peppers.
- Make consistent cuts. For best results, try to cut all of your peppers and your onion into similarly-sized pieces. The veggies will get tender regardless since you’re using a slow cooker, but the texture will be a lot better if all the veggies are the same size.
- Mix and match. I used red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, and Italian chicken sausage for this recipe, but feel free to mix it up. You can use whatever bell peppers you like best, and even add more of them if you want. You can also use pork sausage, or any flavor of sausage that you like.
- Make it spicy. A lot of people like to add a kick of heat to their sausage and peppers. If that sounds good to you, you can add crushed chili flakes to the recipe, or cut up a fresh jalapeño, or any other type of hot pepper.
What to Serve With Italian Sausage and Peppers
My favorite way to eat crock pot sausage and peppers is in a sandwich, with some melted mozzarella cheese. But it’s also such a hearty and delicious meal to eat as an entree. When I have sausage and peppers for dinner, I usually serve it with some vegetables, or with a classic Italian side dish. Here are a few recipes to serve with this hearty, savory meal.
- Copycat Crazy Bread
- Cheesy Garlic Bread
- Italian Pasta Salad
- Chicken Caesar Salad
- Homemade Coleslaw
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
If you have leftover crock pot sausage and peppers, you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 days. Reheat on the stove over medium heat, in the microwave in 30-second increments, or covered in a 350F oven for 15 minutes.
Can You Freeze Sausage Peppers and Onions?
You can definitely freeze this Italian sausage and peppers recipe. Make sure that the dish is completely cooled, then store it in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw or defrost completely before reheating.
More Easy Slow Cooker Recipes
Slow cookers are such a great appliance. They make cooking a healthy and comforting dinner so easy. Here are some more of my favorite crock pot dinner recipes.
- Slow Cooker Pork Roast
- Crock Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- Crock Pot Chili
- Slow Cooker Jambalaya
- Crock Pot Fiesta ChickenCrock Pot Honey Garlic Meatballs
- 4 sausage links (I use Italian chicken sausage)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Add the bell peppers and the onions to the base of your slow cooker.
- Add the garlic and marinara sauce and stir to combine.
- Place the sausages on top of the mixture.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 3-4 hours, then serve.
- If you want to add cheese, sprinkle it over the top and put the lid on for 5 minutes, until the cheese melts.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 days, or in the freezer for 6 months.
- Reheat on a stove over medium heat, in the microwave in 30-second increments, or in a 350F oven for 15 minutes.
- You can use any combinations of peppers, and any type of sausage.
Amount Per Serving Calories 238Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 36mgSodium 913mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 3gSugar 10gProtein 12g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook,and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can
share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and
tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS
recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you
never miss a post!