This easy homemade coleslaw is crispy, crunchy, creamy, and the perfect side dish to just about any meal. Shredded cabbage tossed with a sweet and tangy dressing that works well on burgers, tacos, or to enjoy on its own.
Summer parties and grilling go hand in hand with coleslaw. Every potluck or get together always has different kinds of coleslaw on display. You can have your Mexican Coleslaw that is great for tacos or you could have your No Mayo Coleslaw that you don’t have to worry about sitting out. Or if you want to mix things up this Cranberry Apple Coleslaw is a non-traditional but fun alternative. But this easy creamy coleslaw is more of the classic that people know and love.
Why You’ll Love This Coleslaw Recipe
- Easy. No matter what the season, but especially in the summer, I want something that is easy. I don’t want to have to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. You can make this dressing in about 2 minutes, and then you just have to toss it all together.
- Make Ahead. Like with some other salads, they get better as they sit. At least for a couple hours. So this is a great side dish you can make in the morning and then take to your party in the evening.
- Shortcuts. This homemade coleslaw comes together in minutes, and you can use pre-shredded cabbage that you buy to make it even faster!
What You’ll Need for Homemade Coleslaw
Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card to get the measurements and full instructions!
- Green Cabbage
- Purple Cabbage
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Salt & Pepper
- Onion Powder
- Celery Seed
You can definitely swap out the cabbage for a bag of coleslaw mix from the store. And you could even use the broccoli slaw or other “slaws” that they sell. The dressing is very versatile and will work great on anything.
How To Make Homemade Coleslaw
- Shred Cabbage. If you are not using a pre-shredded cabbage, use a sharp knife and finely shred your green and purple cabbage. You can use pre-shredded carrots or use a box grater to grate the carrots.
- Make Coleslaw Dressing. In a small bowl combine the mayo, vinegar, sugar, mustard, onion powder, celery seed, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Toss Together. In a large bowl mix together cabbage, carrots and the dressing until everything is evenly combined and well coated.
- Cover and Chill. Cover the bowl of coleslaw with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 1-2 hours before serving.
Recipe Tips & Suggestions
- Not a big fan of mayo? You can use plain Greek yogurt in place of the mayo. There is enough seasoning to the dressing you don’t know, and it will work just fine.
- Make sure to let this sit for at least an hour, closer to two if possible before serving. The dressing comes together and blends with the cabbage and it just gets better after a couple of hours.
- If this is served at a potluck, make sure it doesn’t sit out for more than two hours. It can last for two hours at room temperature before bacteria starts to form, and it is no longer safe to eat.
What To Serve With Homemade Coleslaw
Everyone knows it works alongside Classic Hamburgers and Hot Dogs at your barbecue, but here are a few other ideas to mix things up a bit.
How To Store Coleslaw
Store coleslaw in an airtight container and place in the fridge for 3-4 days. After a day or two it may get a little watery. I like to just drain off the water and stir in a tiny bit more mayo to bring it all back to life.
Coleslaw does not freeze well, so it is something you want to make when you are going to serve it.
More Summer Side Dish Recipes
- Dill Pickle Pasta Salad
- Grilled Potato Packs
- Smoked Corn on the Cob
- Caprese Pasta Salad
- Corn Fritters
- Classic Potato Salad
- Baked Beans
- 3 cups green cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 cups purple cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- Mix together all of the coleslaw dressing ingredients in a large mixing bowl until well combined.
- Add shredded cabbage and carrots and mix until combined and everything is evenly coated.
- Cover with and place in the fridge for at least an hour before serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories 169Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 8mgSodium 502mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 3gSugar 6gProtein 2g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!