Easy Weeknight Lasagna – Make lasagna any night of the week with this easy skillet lasagna recipe!
My son comes home today!! He only left on Wednesday, so it isn’t like it was a long time or anything. But this is the first time he has been away from home and not at families house. He has spent the weekend with his aunt and uncle, or a week at Grandma’s before. But this was a school trip. In Colorado they do something called Eco Week when they are in 5th grade. They go up into the mountains to hike, camp, and learn about the outdoors for 3 days. I can’t wait to hear all about it, I am sure they all had so much fun!!
Did you know that October is healthy pasta month? I had no idea! But we live on pasta at our house, so I am excited to be working with Dreamfields Pasta to celebrate! You may remember that I worked with Dreamfields this summer on a Middle Eastern Salad. I am super happy they asked me to create a healthier weeknight lasagna, because if I can enjoy pure comfort food without the guilt, I am one happy girl. And if I can have lasagna on a Tuesday night, even better!
To make lasagna easy for a weeknight it is cooked in a skillet. The noodles are broken into small pieces and then cooked, before adding to the sauce. This easy weeknight lasagna is made healthier by using ground turkey breast as well as part skim cheeses. And don’t for get the pasta! Dreamfields pasta is full of fiber and protein that makes it a great choice any night of the week. The lasagna skillet comes together in less than 30 minutes. You are cooking the pasta at the same time you are browning the meat and making the sauce. Then you just toss together with cheese to serve. Definitely has all the flavors of a traditional lasagna, but in a fraction of the time!
- 1 box Dreamfields Lasagna, , broken into 2 to 3-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, , minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can, (14 ounces) Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 2 cans, (14 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, , divided
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, (optional)
- Fresh basil, , chopped (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground turkey and onion. Cook 5 to 7 minutes or until turkey is browned and cooked through and onion is translucent, stirring occasionally and breaking turkey into crumbles. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, or until garlic is fragrant, stirring frequently. Add Italian seasoning and oregano to skillet. Add tomatoes and tomato sauce to skillet. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Remove from heat.
- Add pasta to turkey-tomato sauce. Add 1/2 cup of the mozzarella and the ricotta cheese; stir until melted and combined. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Serve topped with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil, if desired
Nutrition information (1/8 of recipe): 380 calories; 25 g protein; 48 g carbohydrates; 12 g total fat; 4 g saturated fat; 50 mg cholesterol; 270 mg sodium; 7 g total dietary fiber.
Serving Size8 Servings
Amount Per ServingCalories 244Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 69mgSodium 682mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 31g
To spread the #HealthyPastaMonth love, I have a fun prize pack up for grabs! I have teamed up with Dreamfields, for one winner to receive a family pack of Dreamfields pasta plus a $25 gift card!
Be sure to follow along all month long! Dreamfields is sharing a new recipe, from a different blogger, everyday in October!
**Dreamfields Pasta compensated me for my time to create this recipe. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.