It is starting to cool down in the evenings here. Perfect weather for a comforting bowl of soup! I am excited for soup weather this year, I have so many that I want to make. This is one that my husband sent to me, probably a year ago. So it was time that I did him a favor and made it.
It is basically chicken and rice soup, but with lots of ginger. Because this is such a basic soup, you could take the opportunity to add any veggies your family likes. Carrots, celery, bell peppers, peas… you name it, it would work. I took the easy way this time, and just topped the bowls with thinly sliced red bell peppers and green onions.
The ginger is just soothing in this soup. I don’t know of another way to describe it. I took a bite, and it was just comforting, and warm, and soothing. I currently have 8 single serving containers of this in my freezer. I love to stock my freezer with soup for quick dinners, or lunches all winter. Serve with a little bread, and I am in heaven!
- 1 cup uncooked rice, , cooked according to the package directions
- 1 pound chicken breasts, , cooked and shredded
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups veggies, (bell peppers, carrots, green onions, celery, peas etc.)
- 1 to 2 inches ginger, , grated
- Green onions, , sliced for garnish
- In a large stock pot saute veggies, until crisp tender (about 5 minutes).
- Add the chicken stock, and grate in the ginger. Heat until simmering.
- Add the chicken, and the cooked rice. Heat until everything is hot.
- Serve garnished with green onions.
Adapted from Kraft
Amount Per ServingCalories 282 Total Fat 5g Saturated Fat 1g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 3g Cholesterol 55mg Sodium 397mg Carbohydrates 31g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 1g Sugar 5g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 26g