Nutty Fried Rice – a healthier fried rice recipe with cashews, broccoli, mushrooms and a creamy peanut butter dressing. So good, you won’t even know you are eating something good for you!
Once a week I get together for lunch with a friend. She is a teacher at the elementary school, less than a mile from my house. She happened to be my son’s first grade teacher. She has about a 45 minute lunch break every day, and one day a week she comes to my house and I make us lunch.
I take full advantage of our girls lunches, and make something that my family would never eat. Usually it involve mushrooms, like this One Pot Beef Stroganoff. Or broccoli. Because they pretty much revolt at even the site of broccoli in the house.
When I was going through my Cooking Light this month I noticed a fried rice recipe. My first though was, I could make it and just leave out the broccoli for my family. I could use another vegetable they would like or just add in some chicken. But then I got to reading the recipe, and knew I wanted to make it with the broccoli as is. There was mushrooms in there too. And I love mushrooms; stuffed mushrooms, sauteed mushrooms…you name it, I want it.
This nutty fried rice starts out with boil in a bag brown rice. I used it in my Short Cut Risotto recipe, and really liked it. So I thought I would give it a try again here. You can use regular brown rice, minute rice, whatever you want. Any kind of rice will work here. I boiled the rice in the bag first, so then it was just mix everything together and have the flavors come together.
You may balk at the peanut butter dressing that gets mixed in at the end. But use it!! It gives it such a creamy and great flavor. It makes it almost more of a Thai style fried rice than the traditional Chinese fried rice. My first bite it was a little unexpected, but it was so addicting, I don’t want to admit how much we ate for lunch that day.
The leftovers of this nutty fried rice are great too. If you wanted to bulk this up, you could easily add some chicken at the end. Pick up a rotisserie chicken, or used leftovers and make it super easy. And if your family doesn’t like broccoli like mine, use whatever veggies they do like!
- 2 Tbls canola oil, , divided
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 (8 oz) package mushrooms, sliced
- 2 packages boil-in-a-bag brown rice, , cooked according to package directions
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews
- 2 eggs, , beaten
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 Tbls water
- 1 Tbls rice vinegar
- 1 Tbls sesame seeds
- In a large skillet heat 1 Tbls canola oil over medium high heat. Add broccoli and mushrooms and cook for 6-10 minutes until started to brown and mushrooms are soft. Remove from skillet.
- Meanwhile, in a liquid measuring cup or bowl whisk together peanut butter, remaining 2 Tbls soy sauce, water, vinegar and sesame seeds until it comes together. Set aside.
- Add remaining 1 Tbls oil to skillet. Stir in rice and cashews. Cook for a couple minutes until nuts are starting to brown. Push to the side of the pan, and stir in egg. Scramble egg in the open side of the pan. Once scrambled, mix all together.
- Mix in 2 Tbls soy sauce, broccoli mixture, sesame oil, and pepper.
- Pour peanut butter dressing over the rice and stir to combine.
- Serve immediately
Serving Size4 Servings
Amount Per ServingCalories 333Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 18gCholesterol 93mgSodium 1042mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 6gSugar 3gProtein 13g