Salsa Verde Chicken Skillet – an easy one pan pasta skillet with salsa verde, chicken, and lots of melty gooey cheese!
I hope that you had a good weekend. My husband had to work one day, so I got to spend extra time with my 10 year old just the two of us. We spent all summer together, but now that school has started, things are busier and we just don’t have the time. He gets home from school and has homework or Lego practice, then it is dinner and bedtime already. So it was nice to take a little time and just hang out. Because let’s face it, at 10 he still likes me, and that will end pretty soon.
If you have been around these parts at all, you know that I am all about a quick and easy dinner. And if it can be made in one pan, even better! Weeknights are busy, so I want to get dinner on the table in under 30 minutes and not have another 30 minutes of dishes and clean up to do afterwards.
So I am all about giving you one pan, pasta skillet, quick and easy dinner ideas. And this Salsa verde chicken skillet completely fits the bill. Not to mention it is creamy, cheesy, and pretty much comfort food as well. Your family will definitely thank you for this one!
The idea of any pasta skillet recipe is everything cooks in one pan, including the pasta. For this one you brown the chicken, and then remove it from the pan. It would get chewy and kind of gross if you left it in while the pasta cooked. Then you add milk, salsa, and chicken stock with the pasta to cook it, add the chicken back in, mix in cheese and you are done!
Pasta Skillets are my go to dinner on weeknights, my whole family enjoys them, the leftovers are perfect for lunch the next day, and it is always what my 10 year old requests when I ask him for ideas. So instead of those plain chicken breasts you are going to bake up, try this salsa verde chicken skillet for dinner tonight!
Want more? Check out all of the other One Pan Dinner Recipes here and here are some more you might like:
Oven Roasted Potatoes and Sausage
Mexican Rice Skillet
Lemon Garlic Pork Chops
Low Carb Chicken Stir-fry Sheet Pan Meal by Kalyn’s Kitchen
Chinese 5 Spice Pork Chops and Broccoli by Aggie’s Kitchen
- 1 pound boneless, , skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbls olive oil
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1 (4oz) can diced green chilies
- 1 cup half and half or milk
- 3 cups penne pasta
- 1 1/2 cup Monterey jack cheese, , shredded
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil to coat the pan. Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Add to hot oil, and brown for about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan, and set aside. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add chicken stock, salsa verde, green chilies, half and half, and pasta to the skillet. Bring to a boil Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for about 15 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked.
- Add chicken back to the pan. Stir in 1 cup of cheese. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup over cheese over the top. Cover and cook for 2 minutes until melted.
Recipe Adapted from Kevin & Amanda