This Mississippi chicken recipe is tender, juicy, and so easy to make. Chicken is slow-cooked with ranch, onion soup mix, and pepperoncini peppers for a rich and zesty flavor unlike any other.
I love to make dinner in the slow cooker. It’s such an easy way to fill a dish with flavor. This Mississippi chicken recipe is everything I love about slow cooking. It barely takes any work, and it’s bursting with rich, tangy, and spicy flavors. And best of all? It’s so juicy and tender that it practically melts in your mouth.
This slow cooker chicken has so much flavor from both ranch dressing and onion soup mix. But I think the secret is the pepperoncini peppers. This recipe uses both the peppers and the pepper juice. The result is a kick of heat but also the tang of vinegar. It’s fantastic and so easy to make.
Why You’ll Love This Slow Cooker Mississippi Chicken
There are so many reasons to make this Mississippi chicken recipe. Here are a few of them.
- Super easy. This recipe couldn’t be simpler. It’s really just a matter of placing all the ingredients in a slow cooker and turning it on. There’s not much else to do other than that! It’s a restaurant-quality chicken dish that’s even easier than ordering takeout!
- Affordable. Mississippi chicken is bursting with flavor, but it only uses a few ingredients. And the ingredients are all quite affordable. This is a great way to get a protein-filled dinner for a low price.
- Versatile. One of my favorite things about this recipe is that you can use it to make a million other recipes. This slow cooker chicken is excellent in sandwiches, wraps, burritos, and tacos, or when served on top of pasta or a salad. The possibilities are endless!
Here are all the ingredients you need to make spicy, tender slow cooker chicken. Make sure to check out the recipe card at the bottom of the article to see the exact amounts for each ingredient.
- Chicken breasts – Be sure to use boneless, skinless breasts.
- Ranch dressing mix
- Onion soup mix
- Pepperoncini peppers
- Pepperoncini pepper juice
- Butter – You want to use unsalted butter for this recipe.
How to Make Mississippi Chicken
Here’s how to make this tender chicken recipe. It only takes a few minutes of work.
- Put the chicken in. Place the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Season the chicken. Sprinkle the ranch dressing and onion soup mixes over the chicken, then pour in the pepperoncini pepper juice.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Place the pepperoncini peppers and butter on top of the chicken.
- Cook. Put the lid on the slow cooker and turn it on low. Cook for 3-4 hours.
- Shred. Remove the pieces of chicken and shred them with 2 forks.
- Serve. Put the chicken back in the slow cooker and toss it in the juices until it’s well coated. Serve while hot.
Tips and Tricks
Here are a few of my favorite tips for making this easy chicken dinner.
- Make your own mixes. This chicken recipe gets most of its flavor from the ranch dressing and onion soup mixes. So an easy way to take this recipe to the next level is to make your own mixes. My Onion Soup Mix Recipe and Ranch Dressing Mix are so easy to make and way better than the store-bought versions.
- Adjust the spice. I love the kick of heat from the pepperoncini peppers and juice. But everybody has a different spice tolerance. If you really like spicy food, add a few extra peppers. If you like things mild, cut back on the peppers, or replace the pepper juice with pickle brine.
- Check the seasoning. This recipe doesn’t call for any salt. That’s because there’s a lot of salt in the onion soup and ranch dressing mixes. However, the amount of salt in those mixes can vary, so you may need to adjust the salt levels. After the chicken is done cooking, taste it and see if it needs any more seasoning. Adjust the salt as needed.
What to Serve It With
You can put this slow cooker Mississippi chicken in or on pretty much anything. I love to simply serve it on a bed of rice or pasta. But you can replace the chicken in any of the following recipes with juicy Mississippi chicken.
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Wraps
- Barbecue Chicken Nachos
- Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas
- BBQ Chicken Wrap
- White Chicken Enchiladas
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Mississippi Chicken
This zesty chicken recipe will last in the fridge for up to 5 days. Just make sure to store it in an airtight container. Reheat in the microwave in 30-second increments until warm all the way through.
Can This Recipe Be Frozen?
Yes, I love to freeze this recipe for easy weeknight meals. Just store it in an airtight container and it will last in the freezer for 4 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight or defrost fully before reheating.
Slow cookers are a great way to cook chicken. You can get so much flavor in the meat while keeping it moist and tender. Here are a few more slow cooker chicken recipes for you to try.
- Crock Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- Slow Cooker Verde Chicken Pozole
- Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken
- Crock Pot Fiesta Chicken
- Crock Pot Chicken and Gravy
- Slow Cooker Jambalaya
- Slow Cooker Tikka Masala
- 2-2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 packet ranch dressing mix
- 1 packet onion soup mix
- 1/3 cups pepperoncini pepper juice
- 6 pepperoncini peppers
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into cubes
- Arrange the chicken breasts on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the ranch dressing mix and onion soup mix evenly over the chicken. Pour in the pepperoncini juice.
- Top the chicken with the pepperoncini peppers and cubes of butter.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker. Cook on low for 3-4 hours, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken and use 2 forks to shred it. Add the chicken back to the crockpot and toss it in all of the juice.
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving Calories 342Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 136mgSodium 1547mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 1gSugar 7gProtein 46g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!