Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas – make classic chicken fajitas in no time using your Instant Pot! Juicy, flavorful chicken, onions, and bell peppers come together in a delicious and easy dinner.
Mexican food is right up there as one of my favorite types of food. And Chicken Fajitas is probably my go-to order at a Mexican restaurant. It has definitely changed over the years. When I was younger, I ordered Flautas or Taquitos because who doesn’t love anything deep-fried.
Well, now you can make those famous chicken fajitas using your Instant Pot in about 20 minutes from start to finish. Yes, that includes pressurizing your Instant Pot!
Why This Recipe Works
- Dinner is on the table in minutes! You thinly slice the chicken, so you are only cooking it under pressure for 4 minutes. That means you are eating in about 20 minutes from when you start.
- You can use a store bought seasoning packet if you want to take a shortcut. But a homemade mix uses spices you probably have on hand already and just takes 2 minutes to measure out.
- Top your fajitas with whatever you like. This is great when you have picky eaters, because everyone can fill their tortilla with some of the chicken mixture, and then whatever cheese, salsa and veggies they like.
What You’ll Need
- Fajita Spice Mix
- Chicken Breasts
- Bell Peppers
- Olive Oil
- Favorite Toppings
For the fajita mix, I use the homemade version that I use in my Fajita Veggies recipe. But if you want to use a store bought packet you definitely can!
- Chili Powder
- Ground Cumin
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Salt & Pepper
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas
Be sure to scroll down to get the full recipe and instructions.
- In a bowl mix together the thinly sliced chicken, sliced onion and bell peppers with a little olive oil and fajita seasoning. You want everything to be well coated.
- Pour just a little bit of water into the base of the Instant Pot.
- Place the mixture in your Instant Pot, close and lock the lid. Set it on high for 4 minutes.
- After the 4 minutes, quick release to unlock your pressure cooker.
- Once it is unlocked, remove the lid, and scoop out the chicken, leaving the extra liquid in the Instant Pot and serve the fajitas in tortillas with your favorite toppings.
- Yes, you will notice the cook time is only 4 minutes. The reason this works is because you are thinly slicing the chicken. In recipes like Instant Pot Chicken Tacos where you are cooking the chicken breast whole, the cooking time is much longer (12-15 minutes). If you want more shredded chicken for your fajitas you can cook your chicken whole, you will just want to not add your peppers and onions or they will be mushy. You could sauté them on their own, or add them to the liquid in the base while you shred the chicken. This will steam them and soften them enough.
- Want to use frozen chicken? If the chicken is thinly sliced it will work great. Just increase the cooking time to 7 minutes. The veggies may be a little soft, depending on how you like them you may want to cook them separately or add them to the liquid like listed above.
- Is 1/4 cup of water enough? Absolutely! Because you are only cooking them for 4 minutes, you should not get a burn notice on your Instant Pot. If you are cooking for longer, because your meat is frozen or whole, then yes you would want to add more water.
What Goes On Chicken Fajitas
You really can top Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas just like you would tacos, so whatever you like, it will work great!
Can I Freeze These
If you want to freeze these, the best thing to do is get everything prepped and then freeze. Not freeze after they are cooked. Although that works, the texture of the veggies does change. And they cook so quickly, it works really well to just meal prep and have them in the freezer.
- Toss your everything together with the fajita seasoning and oil
- Instead of putting it straight into the pressure cooker, put it in a freezer safe bag. Put in the freezer for 3-4 months.
- When you are ready to serve, take it out of the freezer, thaw in the fridge overnight, and then cook as directed. Or you could even cook on a skillet on the stove top.
What Goes With Chicken Fajitas
If you have leftovers just store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can reheat in the microwave or in a skillet over medium heat until warm. Serve with tortillas and your favorite toppings. Or you could use it in my favorite Chicken Fajita Salad or even Chicken Fajita Quesadilla!
More Easy Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Pozole
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot Chicken Adobo
- Instant Pot Country Style Ribs
- Instant Pot Turkey Chili
- Instant Pot Ribs
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a small bowl mix together all of the ingredients for the fajita seasoning until well combined.
- Mix together thinly sliced chicken with the sliced onions, bell peppers, olive oil and seasoning mix until everything is well coated.
- Pour 1/4 cup water into the base of the Instant Pot. Add the chicken mixture.
- Cover and lock the Instant Pot. Set on high for 4 minutes.
- After 4 minutes, quick release to unlock the Instant Pot.
- Remove the chicken and veggies, leaving the liquid in the bottom. Serve with tortillas and your favorite toppings.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 247Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 96mgSodium 317mgCarbohydrates 8gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 37g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!