Smoked Meatloaf – delicious moist, tender and juicy meatloaf that is cooked in your smoker! Take your classic comfort food to a whole new level with this easy and tasty dinner.
Meatloaf is one of those classic comfort foods I most often think about in the winter on a cold night. But when you can make it on the smoker, it turns into a summer staple pretty darn fast! When you don’t have to have the oven on for an hour, it cooks outside, and gets that great smoky flavor; that is a win on every account!
Meatloaf can get a bad rap sometimes, but when you follow these tips and directions, you will get a moist, tender and juicy meatloaf that is so full of flavor even your picky eaters will be asking for seconds.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Ground Beef
- Ground Pork (can use all ground beef)
- Cheddar Cheese
- Barbecue Rub
- Barbecue Sauce
This is loosely based on our favorite Best Meatloaf Recipe. I wanted to mix it up a little bit to compliment the smoky flavor it would get from the cooking method vs just baking it in the oven like normal.
Can I Smoke Meatloaf
Yes, you can definitely smoke meatloaf. You place your meatloaf directly onto the smoker and cook it low and slow for a few hours so it gets cooked all the way through and is full of delicious smoky flavor. You can take your favorite meatloaf recipe or use the one below. But this is a great way to mix up how you cook meatloaf.
How To Make Smoked Meatloaf
- Preheat your smoker to 225º F.
- Mix together all of the ingredients in a large bowl until it is well blended. Once everything is evenly mixed together, stop. You don’t want to over mix and turn it into a paste, you will have a tough meatloaf.
- Place your meatloaf on the smoker and brush the top and sides with barbecue sauce.
- Cook for about 3 1/2 hours. I like to use these Mesh Grill Mats so nothing falls through the grates and clean up is easy.
- Once the meatloaf reaches 160º F, remove from the smoker and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing to serve.
How Long To Smoke Meatloaf
At 225º F it will take about 3 1/2 hours to cook. You want to get the internal temperature to 160º F, that is when you know it is fully cooked and done.
There are some recipes that will have you cook it at a much higher temperature for a shorter time, similar to how you could cook it in the oven. But I think it dries out faster that way, and you don’t get nearly as much smoke flavor. So giving it time at a lower temperature will result in a must juicier and more flavorful meatloaf.
What Goes With Meatloaf
More Smoked Recipes To Try
- Smoked Chicken Wings
- Smoked Pork Chops
- Smoked Country Style Ribs
- Smoked Chicken Breast
- Smoked Pork Belly
- Smoked Baby Back Ribs
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp barbecue spice blend
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- Preheat your smoker to 225º F.
- In a large bowl mix together all of the ingredients, except the barbecue sauce until it is well blended.
- Form into a loaf and place on smoker. Brush the top and sides with barbecue sauce.
- Cook for about 3 1/2 hours until it reaches an internal temperature of 160º F.
- Remove from smoker and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing to serve.
Amount Per Serving Calories 469Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 166mgSodium 451mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 1gSugar 7gProtein 36g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!