We have our first official sports injury. It is a minor one, but still an injury. And as a mom, I am about ready to bubble wrap my kid, and not let him leave the house. Ok, maybe that is a little over board, but he is my only kid!!
On Sunday my 7 year old sprained his thumb. He still played in both of his football games, and did well, so it isn’t that bad. It is slightly swollen, and that is about it. It only hurts when he moves it in certain directions. He had his normal well child check-up yesterday, so I had her look at his thumb. She said to just ice it a couple times a day. I am crossing my fingers this is the worst injury we have!
So, how about these burgers? I am excited that grilling weather is here. The other night seemed perfect for burgers. A recipe for chicken burgers caught my eye on Pinterest recently. They are a take off from a Trader Joe’s chicken burger. Unfortunately, I don’t live near a Trader Joe’s so I have no idea what the originals are like. I just know the picture looked yummy! I substituted turkey for the chicken, because that is what I had on hand.
These were full of flavor, and a great twist on a traditional burger. I will be making these again, and definitely will try chicken! And really, any time you can use avocado in a recipe, I am all in!
- For Burgers:
- 1lb ground turkey
- ⅓ cup green onions, chopped
- 2 Tbls cilantro, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, grated
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ lime, juiced
- For Guacamole:
- 1 large avocado, pitted
- 2 Tbls tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Tbls onion, chopped
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- In a bowl combine chicken, green onions, cilantro, garlic, salt, pepper flakes, and lime juice. Mix until well combined. Do not over mix. Form into 4 patties, with a slight well in the center.
- Prepare guacamole. Mash avocado with a fork. Mix in tomato, onion, paprika, chili powder, salt, pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Heat grill to medium high heat (a grill pan or skillet would work as well). Grill for about 5 minutes per side. You want them cooked all the way through. Toast buns on the grill for the last minute.
- Place burgers on the buns, and top with guacamole to serve.