I hope that all of you Mom’s out there had a wonderful Mother’s Day! It was a gorgeous day here in Colorado. We drove up into the mountains and did one of our favorite hikes in Rocky Mountain National Park. They still had lots of snow up there, so we actually got to snowshoe one last time this season. It was a little strange to be in the 70’s and have lots of snow around. It was a great day to spend together as a family.
So, my husband requested salad for dinner. If you know him, you know that this is completely out of sorts for him. Well, he got me Simply Ming in Your Kitchen and was having fun picking out recipes to try. One of the ones he mentioned was this Thai Beef Salad. I half thought he was kidding, but figured I better make it quickly, before he changed his mind. Two days later, we had this for dinner.
Guess what! He wants to have it again! My salad hating husband, is requesting that I make this salad again. That is how you know it is good. The dressing is tangy and full of Asian flavor. The warm steak on top puts it over the top. I used a sirloin when I made it, but next time I think I am going to up the anti and use a filet. Use whatever cut you like, grill the steak if the weather is good, just make this soon!
- 10-12 oz sirloin or strip steak, about 1 inch thick
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 4 Tbls canola oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced (reserve 1 Tbls for garnish)
- ½ Serrano pepper, minced (or jalapeno)
- 3 limes, juiced
- 3 Tbls fish sauce
- 1 bag coleslaw mix (substitute small head of white cabbage, small head of radicchio and 2 carrots all finely chopped)
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 Tbls of oil, swirl to coat the pan. Season the steak with salt and pepper. Add the steak to the pan. Cook for about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare, 5 minutes for medium, and 6 for well done. *Times depend on how thick the steak is.
- Remove cooked steak from the pan, and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Return the pan to medium heat. Saute shallots, green onions, and Serrano pepper until soft, about 1 minute. Remove from heat, add lime juice and fish sauce. Whisk in 3 Tbls of canola oil.
- In a large bowl toss the warm dressing with the coleslaw mix. Season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Slice steak about ¼ inch thick
- To serve divide coleslaw mixer onto 4 plates. Place a few strips of steak over the salad, and garnish with green onions.
*This post includes an affiliate link