Crockpot Breakfast Casserole – make your favorite breakfast casserole in your slow cooker. It cooks overnight while you sleep and is ready and waiting for you in the morning!
One of my favorite things to make whenever we have overnight guests is a breakfast casserole. It is so easy to throw together and it feeds a crowd.
But even when you assemble it the night before it always takes at least an hour in the oven. I don’t know about you, but I am hungry when I wake up in the morning.
This crockpot breakfast casserole cooks on low for 8 hours. So you can put everything in right before you go to bed, and have it waiting for you in the morning!
What’s In Breakfast Casserole
- Potatoes – for this I think the frozen shredded hash browns work the best. You want them still frozen, or they will cook faster. If you want it to cook faster, then go for it, but if you are looking for overnight, then keep them frozen.
- Protein – My family loves breakfast sausage, so that is what I used here. But you can mix it up as well, 1 pound of meat; breakfast sausage, bacon, or ham is what you need for this casserole.
- Cheese – A blend of cheddar and pepper jack is my favorite so you get the flavor of the cheddar with a little spice from the pepper jack.
- Eggs – a necessity in every breakfast casserole
- Evaporated Milk – I like to use 2 cans of evaporated milk instead of just regular milk in this casserole. But if you don’t have it, any kind of milk will work great.
- Onions – Finely chop your onions when you add them and they add great flavor to this casserole. I also add green onions to the top layer for more color and a different flavor.
- Bell Peppers – these are optional, and sometimes I will only add them to a portion of it, so the people who don’t like them don’t have to pick around them. But they add lots of flavor and brighten up the dish.
How To Make Crockpot Breakfast Casserole
- The key is layering! Spray your slow cooker with non-stick spray and then arrange half of the bag of frozen hash browns into the base of your slow cooker.
- Sprinkle over half of your meat, onions, bell peppers and cheese.
- Top with the rest of the potatoes and then a 2nd layer of the meat, onions, peppers and cheese.
- In a large bowl beat together the eggs, milk and salt until completely blended. Pour evenly over the top of the casserole. It will seep down into the layers and evenly cook this way.
- Set your crockpot on low and cook for 7-8 hours. If you want it done faster 3-4 hours on high and it should be done.
This overnight crockpot breakfast casserole is a great thing to feed a crowd. You can mix up the protein, the cheese, add in bell peppers, leave them out, and really make it your own. So it doesn’t have to be the same thing each time!
How Do You Know When Breakfast Casserole Is Done
When you make it in the crock pot you can tell that the eggs have puffed up and are set on top after about 7-8 hours. But the sure fire and most safe way to know is to insert a thermometer and have it read at least 160º F. This ensures that the eggs are fully cooked.
How To Serve Breakfast Casserole
This is very easy to just scoop out of the crockpot and serve. It is great to have a few topping options for people to dress it up.
- Sour Cream
- Hot Sauce
- Green Onions
How Long To Cook Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole
On low it will take 7-8 hours to cook. So it is great to start right before you go to bed and have it ready for you. If your crockpot is programable you can program it to switch to warm after 8 hours, or even even start cooking 1-2 hours after you assemble so you can sleep in the next day!
How Long Does A Breakfast Casserole Last
You can keep it in the fridge for 3-4 days. Just let it cool and store in an air tight container. Then you can either reheat in the microwave or the oven to serve the leftovers.
More Breakfast Recipes
- Sourdough French Toast
- Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
- Sausage Egg Breakfast Sandwich
- Banana Pancakes
- Sous Vide Egg Bites
- Blueberry French Toast Bake
- 1 (32 oz) package frozen shredded hash browns (keep them frozen)
- 1 pound breakfast sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese (can use more cheddar instead)
- 8 whole large eggs
- 2 (14 oz) cans evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tsp salt
- Spray base of crock pot with non-stick spray.
- Spread 1/2 the bag of hash browns into the base of the crock pot.
- Layer with half of the cooked sausage, onion, bell pepper and cheese.
- Repeat with the remaining hash browns, sausage, onion, pepper and cheese.
- Sprinkle green onion over the top.
- In a large bowl beat eggs, milk, and salt until well combined.
- Pour evenly over the top of the casserole.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4.
Substitute 1 pound of any meat (ham or bacon etc.) for the sausage if desired. You can leave the sausage out to make it vegetarian.
Amount Per Serving Calories 367Total Fat 29gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 222mgSodium 914mgCarbohydrates 5gFiber 0gSugar 2gProtein 22g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!