I have never actually had a Larabar. Is that bad? I have seen lots of recipes recently for them, so I decided it was time to try them. They are full of good for you ingredients, so they are a great change from the regular granola bars. They also make a great, quick on the go breakfast.
It should come as no surprise that for my first step into these bars, I went with a peanut butter and chocolate combo. It has never steered me wrong before, so why question it this time. The possibilities are endless though; chocolate, oatmeal chocolate chip, raisins, cranberries, other nuts etc. Have fun testing out new combinations. There is no baking involved, so they come together very quickly!
These were great to have on hand for a quick snack. My 7 year old enjoyed them, and I felt good giving him a snack that was healthy, and not full of preservatives and chemicals. I did not run the nutrition information, so I do not know how it compares to the store bought variety.
- 8 oz dates , pitted
- 1/2 cup peanuts
- 2 Tbls peanut butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Line an 8x8 inch baking pan with plastic wrap (or a small sheet pan). Set aside.
- In a food processor combine the dates and the peanuts. Blend on high until it forms a paste.
- Add the peanut butter and salt, blend until it forms a ball of dough. If it is crumbly, add water 1 tsp at a time, until it forms a ball.
- Add chocolate chips, and pulse a few times.
- Press the dough into the prepared pan. It should be about 3/4 in thick (mine was a little thinner).
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes before cutting into bars.
- Wrap bars in plastic wrap, and store the in the fridge.
Amount Per ServingCalories 233Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 0mgSodium 150mgCarbohydrates 32gFiber 4gSugar 25gProtein 5g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.