Turn your favorite sausage stuffed mushrooms appetizer into dinner with this easy casserole recipe.
Do you have your favorite appetizers that you make pretty much any chance you get? I definitely have a few favorites, like Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Dip.
The problem is that it doesn’t seems socially acceptable to just have Baked Goat Cheese dip for dinner. So what do you do?
Well, I turned my favorite sausage stuffed mushrooms into a casserole that you can make any night of the week. So you get all the flavors of classic stuffed mushrooms in your dinner.
Mushrooms are kind of my favorite thing ever. Sauteed mushrooms are great as just a side dish. But sometimes you want them mixed with something to make a complete meal. Enter this mushroom casserole.
Knowing how to cook mushrooms is the first step to making this casserole. You brown and season the mushrooms before you mix everything together and bake until gooey and bubbly hot.
I used spicy Italian sausage to make pretty much any stuffed mushroom recipe, so I used it here as well. But if you don’t like the heat, you can use your favorite sausage in its place. You could even use turkey or chicken sausage to lighten it up.
Stuffed mushrooms are often stuffed with either sausage or crab. I am not a huge fan of crab, so I always go the sausage route. Then there is cheese and usually breadcrumbs as well.
To get all the flavor and texture of the appetizer, here we have some mozzarella cheese mixed in with the mushrooms and sausage, and then some sprinkled over the top as well. And don’t forget the crunchy bread crumbs. There is a layer of breadcrumbs that gets all nice and toasty on the top as it bakes.
So you get all the flavors and textures of stuffed mushrooms in every bite of this dinner. I actually made this when a couple of friends were over one day. I did not know that one didn’t like mushrooms. So I immediately felt horrible!
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 4 Tbls olive oil, divided
- 16 oz mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup Italian Panko breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet heat 1 Tbls olive oil over medium high heat. Add mushrooms, and onions , and cook for 5-6 minutes until lightly browned. Mix in garlic, and cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Remove from pan.
- Return the skillet to heat and brown sausage until fully cooked. Drain and mix with mushroom mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix in 1 cup of Mozzarella cheese, and pour into a casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top.
- In a bowl mix together breadcrumbs and remaining 3 Tbls olive oil. Spread evenly over the top of the casserole.
- Bake for 15 minutes until hot, cheese is melted, and breadcrumbs are golden brown. Remove and serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 746Total Fat 53gSaturated Fat 17gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 37gCholesterol 86mgSodium 1289mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 4gSugar 9gProtein 35g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.