Hi guys! My name is Carrie and I’m the Bakeaholic Mama. Master mama and a wannabe baker. With three busy kids and husband it is important to me that I feed them well. I am a firm believer that you can make dinner from scratch in 30 minutes or less that will taste great, you’ll have fun making it and eating it too!
My kids love anything wrapped in pastry. Phyllo dough, puff pastry, pie crust. If it’s flaky and buttery I can get almost anything stuffed inside and they will gobble it up. Savory pies or tarts are a popular dinner in our house!
Today I made my favorite pie crust, I cut the dough into 4 inch circles, filled the centers with a basic spinach artichoke dip. It’s cheesy pie goodness at it’s best!
Spinach Artichoke Hand Pies
Buttery hand pie filled with a mix of cheeses, artichokes, and spinach. Great for an appetizer, or to get your kids to eat their veggies!
- 1 batch uncooked double pie crust
- 2 tbs flour
- 2 tbs butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup frozen artichoke hearts thawed and chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach thawed and drained
- 2-3 additional tbs of grated Parmesan cheese for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350.
- To start your filling, in a medium sauce pan over medium/high heat. Melt butter and whisk in flour until a thick paste forms. Whisk in milk, nutmeg and shredded cheese. Once cheese has melted remove from heat and mix in spinach and artichokes.
- Roll pie crust dough out on a lightly floured surface until it's about 1/4-1/8 of an inch thick. Using a 4 inch round cutter or bowl cut circles out of your dough. I cut about 20 circles out of mine.
- In the center of each circle place about 2-3 tbs of your filling . Fold sides over and crimp sides together with a floured fork.
- Place on a non stick baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 15 minutes remove from oven and sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese over the tops return to oven and continue to bake for another 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot.
Amount Per Serving Calories 311Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 31mgSodium 418mgCarbohydrates 25gFiber 3gSugar 2gProtein 9g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
Thank you so much for the great recipe Carrie!
You can find Carrie on Facebook, Twitter, Google +, and Pinterest
- Special K Bars - March 27, 2023
- Beef Stroganoff - March 24, 2023
- Homemade Ravioli - March 22, 2023
Signup for all the new recipes to be sent to your inbox on Saturday morning!
Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama says
Thanks for having me Erin! I hope you are having a blast on your trip 🙂
Laura (Tutti Dolci) says
I love these savory pies, they’d make a perfect appetizer!
Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar says
Omg. These look insanely awesome!!
Steve @ The Black Peppercorn says
Great guest post Erin!! Carrie is great and I love her website. Carrie, these hand pies look like a cracker of a dish. Yeah – love that crispy baked cheese too
Tanya Schroeder says
Wonderfully golden hand pies! That fillings is melty goodness for sure!
OMG. these look delicious! Genius to put spinach artichoke dip in a hand pie! So nice to meet Carrie 🙂 Off to check out her blog!
Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking says
The two-bite version of this is my FAVORITE at holiday parties… I’d love to have a big pie full of it all to myself! Great recipe, Erin!
Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking says
Oops – meant to say Carrie! 🙂 Love the guest post!
Paula @ Vintage Kitchen says
The spilled crusty cheese is the best part! Great idea for turnovers Carrie!
Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen says
These pies looked cooked to perfection. And the cooked hard cheese on the side!?! Drool I love love love picking at cooked cheese!!
Ohh these look so good!! wonderful flavors – what a treat!
Oh wow, I love a good savory pie and these sound so fantastic! Spinach and artichoke for the win 🙂
Jeanne (NanaBread) says
You totally had me at ‘baked on cheesy goodness’ – these look amazing!
Angie @ Big Bear's Wife says
I love all of Carrie’s recipes! Love this one too! yum!
Wonderful guest post! These look delightfully good. 🙂
Oh my, these little pies do look divine! I saw these on instagram and instantly wanted one! Carrie I really wish I had your metabolism 😀
Nancy @ gottagetbaked says
I hope you had a fabulous vacay, Erin! I love Carrie so this is a fabulous guest post. These hand pies look beyond amazing – I could easily hoover a few of these down. The photo with the arrows pointing to the gloriously crispy cheese made me laugh…and then drool…and then both, which makes for a messy morning.
Can these be made ahead of time?
Erin S says
I would think you could make them ahead, freeze, and then bake the day you want to use them.